1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clues to use PSAR Dumper

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Xonos83, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Hey guys! Just a question about PSAR Dumper. I had a bit of a hard time getting the program to work, but I finally got it up on my PSP. The only thing I'm not sure of is....in which directory should I put the firmware version EBOOT to be decrypted? And at the same time, once I have the decrypted files from the KO folder, do they need to go into flash0? (from all the sites I've been looking up, it doesn't specifically say where those decrypted files should go....silly question I guess)

Also, a question about Popsloader if I may, since this is the whole reason I'm using the PSAR Dumper. I've managed to copy my Resident Evil 2 game with popstation, and convert it to PBP. It runs, but freezes on the opening screen. I'm trying to get a firmware version on popsloader that might work better with the game.

Anyone have experience with the game or the latest 3.71 popsloader, and might know which firmware would be best compatible?

Thanks for your time!!

2. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Ok well I did some more research, and I've discovered where the decrypted prx files go. I believe they go into the "popsloader" folder associated with the POPSloader program, which is located in the "seplugins" folder. Would this be correct? And after that's all said and done, is there still anytyhing I need to copy to flash0? (Some of the required decrypted files are files from some folders located in flash0, ie: DIC or KD, or VSH/MODULE)

Now the only thing I need to figure out where the firmware EBOOTS go for decryption.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks again to all!

3. prutherf

prutherf Member

I recently followed this guide(http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/596020) because I was intrigued by the idea of reliving some old PS1 moments .
    I did Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2.The Metal Gear works great , although I am not happy with the size of the picture on the psp it is passable.I dont know if the picture size on the screen can be made better but the game itself works ( and cwcheats works with it !) .
    Resident Evil 2 however reefuses to work for me , hung up on the opening screen "This Game Contains explicit etc.....".Just froze up.
    Anyone outthere have any ideas on how to get Res. Evil 2 to boot?
    psp 3.71-M33

4. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

@prutherf

When you run Metal Gear Solid, press HOME, and go to Settings. You should be able to adjust the screen size in there.

I've been trying to re-patch some of the PSX games using PSX2PSP Popstation. Not having a whole lot of luck! Looks like I may have to utilize the PSARDumper after all.

5. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

6. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Hey thanks smlvfx! This is exactly what I was looking for! It doesn't mention anything about PSARDumper, but now that I can get Popsloader working, I don't need to use PSARDumper anymore. Thanks!

Now I can slow down and steadily learn about PSARDumper instead of rushing things, which I was doing!

7. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

i'm not sure but i think that you need to open the eboot with pbp unpacker ,extract the DATA.PSAR,put the DATA.PSAR in the root of the memory stick and then run the psar dumper

8. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

"i'm not sure but i think that you need to open the eboot with pbp unpacker ,extract the DATA.PSAR,put the DATA.PSAR in the root of the memory stick and then run the psar dumper"

Is this step needed to extract the firmware EBOOT (the one I need to extract the PRX's from to add to Popsloader), or is this merely to get PSARDumper working? Because the new PSARDumper only requires you to put the EBOOT (that came with it) into the root of the MS. Should I maybe try putting the firmware EBOOTS (the ones I want to extract) into the PSP/GAME directory?

Actually, I think I'm going to try this PBP Unpacker. Looks like it does the same thing as PSARDumper. Would I be able to extract an EBOOT with that program, and get the firmware PRX files?

Sorry if I'm making this drawn out! lol. Thanks for all your help!

9. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Sorry, that last post was a little confusing.

Basically, I've got PSARDumper working already. My main goal is to extract EBOOT.PBP files from different firmwares (ie. 2.5, 3.03, etc) to get their corresponding PRX files to add to Popsloader, to try and get some of my PSX games working.

10. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

i'm not sure if this is what you want but this is what i did to test the psar dumper i tested with the 3.11 eboot

i downloaded the psar dumper from here
    http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=381

then i extracted the files and put the psar_dump2% folder and the psar_dump2 folder in the GAME150 folder

then i open the 3.11 eboot with pbp unpacker and extracted the DATA.PSAR file then put the DATA.PSAR file in the root of the memory stick
    then in the psp menu i went to game-┬╗memory stick and run the psar dumper (hit x)

when it finished it will auto exit and then i had a f0 folder in the root of the memory stick

11. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Oh ok I understand! It goes in the root. Ok thank you! lol. I was getting confused.

There is a new PSAR Dumper out now, and what it lets you do, is instead of having to extract the DATA.PSAR file with PBP Unpacker, now all you have to do is put the original EBOOT.PBP file in the root, and the PSAR Dumper will extract it. I thought it was pretty sweet, once I finally came to understand it! lol. However it doesn't seem to support the 1.5 kernel.

You can get the new PSAR Dumper here:
    http://exophase.com/psp/firmware-371-decrypted-1958.htm

Thanks for the help!

12. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

i just tested that new psar dumper
    i have a fat psp with 3.71m33-3 ,so i put the newpsardumper folder and the src folder in the GAME371 folder and put the same 3.11 eboot.pbp in the root of the memory stick and it works fine,no need to extract the data.psar

but this time i did the 3rd option "press square to decrypt all" and it dumped a 30,5 mb f0 folder

the first time with the other psar dumper i did the 1st option
    "press cross to dump encrypted with sigcheck and decrypted reboot.bin"
    and the f0 folder is only 19 mb

LOL i used psar dumper before when i had a psp with 1.5 firmware and i was using device hook but that was a long time ago ,i didn't remember well how this psar dumper stuff works
    i never bother with ps1 games but now i may test some games

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  13. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Yeah same here. I remember using DevHook way back when....but now the custom firmwares are just amazing!

This is my first time using PSARDumper, and it works great. Fortunately though, I found a link with a Popsloader that has a huge list of PRX files already included. I'm trying to dig that up as I speak. So far, all of the PSX games that I couldn't get working, are now up and running. YAY!! lol.

I'll get back with that link ASAP.

14. Xonos83

Xonos83 Member

Hmmm...I can't seem to find it. The one you provided in this thread is awesome though! But I managed to find one out of the blue that had support for up to 3.72 or 3.73, I think. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for all the help!

15. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007