1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CMC?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Dav3, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Dav3

Dav3 Member

what is cmc and how do you check disks for these errors im hearing about?...Also how do you check for the manufacturer...and who are the good ones?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  2. kinza

kinza Regular member

CMC is one of the worst discs you can get. It's 4th class media, "Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate." Overall, it is extremely questionable when talking about quality based on these links and the opinions of AD users. The quality also depends on what type of DVDR you are using. Some say -R is the problem while +R is actually good media. I don't know as I have never used it.

Try these links: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.p...der=Name&hits=200&search=Search+or+List+Media

As far as checking discs for errors, there are multiple programs that allow you to do that. Maybe you got CMC confused with CRC disc reading tests. A very helpful program that identifies the dvd manufacturer as well as conducting the CRC test is DVDInfo Pro. You can download it here: http://www.dvdinfopro.com/. Hope this helps.

3. Dav3

Dav3 Member

what is cmc? i got tese memorex dvds...for my 1st burning ever...they all work except ones i donwloaded and burnt wrong...cause well it was my 1st times and didnt know but i only messed up two..now i got the dvdinfopro...my memorex are Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Media code/Manufacturer ID ProdiscS03
    Format Type UDF 1.02

4. kinza

kinza Regular member

CMC is the name of a disc manufacturing company, AKA CMC Magnetics. ProdiscS03 is a decent manufacturer.

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

Next time when buying media, stay away from Memorex. The media is good in 3 or 5 packs, when you get higher than that they are 50-50, sometimes even worse. You don't want to bother yourself with media problems. I recommend Taiyo-Yuden or Maxell's. Some of the best media available.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

7. Dav3

Dav3 Member

im still somewhat a copieing noob..lol ive done a decent job, dowloading and copieing....so if they are memorex...but still prodisk they are still a decent disk?...but are memorex...made by a good company like prodisk rare? or why are they not liked/good...i dont even know what crc error is lol i guess ive never had one

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

9. Dav3

Dav3 Member

ive herd that memorex...dvds...dont work after a while...now is this just cheaply made dvds...cmc...or all memorex are known to do so?..mine are prodisk..is it common to have them..are they good..prodisk..will they die after a while? should i buy maxell instead nextime, how do you know the maker without opening them?

10. 222333444

222333444 Member

If you insist on buying them from a brick and mortar store, buy only the ones made in Japan.

Even my Fuji film Memorex seemed to mysteriously get scrachted and then fail to play often.

11. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Dav3,

There is no way of telling the media ID of the disk before you buy. I wish there were. Alot of these companies have other ones make the disks for them. The ID will tell you who made them. An ID of cmc-mag is to be avoided. The only ID's I've personally seen with maxell are TY,mxlr-go2 and ritek go4. All good quality. If you use dvd decrypter to rip/burn, it will show you the ID in the log. Use the links that the other guys in this thread have given you and it will help you make an informed decision.