1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CMD32.exe error

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by sarb25, Sep 11, 2004.

1. sarb25

sarb25 Member

I recently recovered from a virus, but I am still suffering the aftershock of it. The virus must have created a file called cmd32.exe and must have depended on it for something. When I removed the virus it must have removed that file as well. Now whenever I log on to my computer it takes forever and then the error comes up saying that windows could not find the file cmd32.exe. What should I do about this error? I've tryed searching the registry for cmd(32.exe), but no success. I'm running out of ideas and don't know what I should do. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone needs to know anymore information let me know as well. This thing is a plague and it needs to go! Thanks for any help.

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

If you are confident that you can handle REGISTRY Editing !!

CMD32.exe was brought on your PC when you used P2P services such as Kazaa, Emule, ShareAza, Bit Torrent ... and the likes. It's a small program that gives permission for a hacker to access your PC thru IRc ; it's no longer there because you removed it but the Registry is asking for it.

When this is pushed on to you, it is also made so it starts automatically when you boot your PC -- Hence the need to cleanup your Registry . Could be worth a try to download SpySweeper or CW Shredder to give it a try first.

Regedit by doing a search for [bold]cmd32.exe[/bold]

and delete the entries where cmd32.exe is shown.
    Be Careful in your Registry Editing.

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

5. sarb25

sarb25 Member

It's gone! Thanks a ton to everyone who gave me the resources to remove this pest of a virus. I must have missed a few registry keys. I'm still kind of slow on log in, but it must be something else that I will figure out eventually. Thanks again.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

sarb25 ~~

Once you have done manual clean up of entries in your Registry -- like you just did -- use a registry cleaner to remove any dead keys you may have created.
    There are many available on Free Trial on the web.

Google Registry Cleaner and you will have a choice to download whatever suits your needs.