1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaster Recovery

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by leet_newb, Jun 6, 2004.

1. leet_newb

leet_newb Member

Hi all. This is my first post here :)

Recently, I had burned a DVD of some old home video footage. It had been ripped to DVD and the VHS tapes containing it were thrown away. I burned two copies of the disc - the first was a coaster (~3GB through) and the second a successful DVD+R. Both were on TDK 4x DVD+R discs. Having enough AOL discs to last me through the next century, I tossed the coaster into my CD album, and pretty much forgot about it. Then my little sister... err... got... to the original.
    It took ~45 minutes of digging through South Park episodes and my extensive PS2 collection to find it, but I now have the coaster safely in my posession. I tried extraction with IsoBuster, but that yields two tracks and no usable data. If anyone can help/point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thx ahead of time.
    Andrey

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

What happened to the one your sister got? If that burned successfully, you'll have a better chance recovering that one.

3. leet_newb

leet_newb Member

well, unless you can give me a tip on recovering a disc that's been lying in the middle of a busy street, and is currently in more pieces than a jigsaw puzzle, I'm out of luck there...

4. flip218

Hmmm ... no remedy for that disc. Are you able to browse any files on the other disc?

5. leet_newb

leet_newb Member

IsoBuster is... I'm using 1.6, and it is giving me the following data:
    [​IMG]

when I extract the image it extracts into one [very large] file.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.[/small]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  6. flip218

I'm not familiar with IsoBuster, so I'll assume it creates ISO files. So ... If you are able to extract an ISO file, use DVD Decrypter to burn it.

7. leet_newb

leet_newb Member

no, IsoBuster does not extract ISO files (at least not in this case), and if it were a simple extract-n-burn, I would have done it long ago. Even if I was able to get a 1-1 copy of the disc's contents in an ISO file, burning it would only get me another coaster. What I am interested in is extracting the raw video/audio data to the greatest extent possible... after that a few hours with TMPG and VirtualDub would get me where I need to be.

8. memcco

memcco Regular member

don't extract the image..when you use iso buster did you choose to extract the files from the image? since it's not copyright material you might be able to just copy to your harddrive and then "play" with it...might be easier.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004