1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coasters

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dragulaAC, Jul 28, 2003.

1. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

i have created image files using nero and i have lost about 9 gigs of harddrive space since i attemted 3 times. I have no idea what happened, but from what i've read so far, it seems to have created coasters? What are they exactly and how do you get rid of them? THank yOU very much for any help.

dragula

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

An image file (.iso) is a complete file with all the programs and objects that you want to burn to a DVD or CD disc. You can take an image file, open it in a burning program like Nero or Roxio ete and burn a DVD or CD. A coaster is a slang term for what people here call failed discs. The burning proccess did not work correctly and the only thing that the DVD or CD can now be used for is to protect a table from coffee.
    So you have lost harddrive space because the image file will be the size of the burning file set. If you have burn to a disc and it works, then you don't need the image files and they can be deleted. this will free up your hard drive. So image files can be deleted, coasters end up in land fill sites.

3. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i used to have about 5000 coasters saved, from friends and even junk like aol discs and stuff, i was gonna build some furnture or a lamp or something out of them but never got around to it. how cool would that be, a desk made from cd's, or a baby mobile thing that hangs over the crib! but my wife won, so i had to get rid of them.

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I hang my coasters up on my wall so that i can be reminded each day of my many burning failures. Im up to about 20.

5. darthnip

that'll make some cool wallpaper someday!

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Sounds like that would work out well, though im hoping i dont make enough coasters for that to happen.

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Darthnip, you have 5000 coasters!!!, That is crazy. With that you should have gone into teh candle holder making busness. Or atleast made a bunch of mirrors. I to date have about 50 coasters. I have moved to cheap -Rw which cut downs the number of fails.

8. darthnip

yeah i had that many at one time, but my wife made me get rid of them. they weren't all mine, i had all my friends save them for me when they failed burns, plus i had a bunch of those aol discs that are everywhere.