1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coasters

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by pichemkid, Feb 24, 2005.

1. pichemkid

pichemkid Member

I just started backing up my DVDs using DVD shrink. I am burning at the maximum that DVD Shrink will allow which is 2.3X or so. The backups are not very good. They play most of the time but there are spots where they either freeze or stutter or whatever. I am using Verbatim DVD+R 1-8x media. What am I doing wrong?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Verbatim +r 1-8x: What manufacturer code is on them.
    Download the free trial of dvdinfopro here: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

I like the verbatim data life plus +8x..These code as mcc-003.If I leave them set at max burn-They will burn at 12x-too high.

What program are you using to burn?
    Are those issues showing up on a stand alone player or on your pc when you watch them?
    Do you use paper-stick on labels?
    Do you multi-task during any of the dvd backup process?
    Are you burning entire dvd or re-authoring main movie only?
    What is brand name and model # of burner?

We need to know how those backups look on your pc: The driver that burned it,should play it, and it should look great.

We also need that manufacturer code.

Dvdinfopro will also let you test those backups for errors.It is a very handy program to have.

3. pichemkid

pichemkid Member

The blanks that I'm using are the mcc-003 Verbatim. I'm burning with Nero 6. Yes I put on some paper labels. I have multi-tasked during the backup (printing the paper labels!)So far I've only done a complete backup I haven't done any re-authoring. I'm not sure of the brand of the burner.According to dvdinfopro it says ATAPI DVD DD 2x16x4x16
    I've only tried playing the backups on my stand alone. They work mostly but have just one area where they have a problem. Of course, that kind of ruins the movie.

4. wild77

wild77 Guest

labels and multi tasking can both cause problems with your backups!
    What program are you using with Shrink to Burn?
    Go into Windows Device Manager it will tell you the make and model of your burner!

5. pichemkid

pichemkid Member

I will try no labels and no multitasking. I will stick with Nero 6 for burning and will try 4X for speed. The device manager also says that my DVD is ATAPI DVD DD 2x16x4x16.
    Does the deep analysis help?

6. wild77

wild77 Guest

Deep analysis will help if the compression is more than 85% it will take lnger to encode.I always do the Main Movie Only in the Re-Author mode.I don't want the extras or the menus on my back ups.Does your Nero have Recode2 if it does give it a try it is written by the same person who developed Shrink.

7. pichemkid

pichemkid Member

Thanks, it looks like by not multitasking and leaving off the labels the backups are ok.

8. FoosJR

FoosJR Member

I had the same problem as you, when I quite multi tasking and putting on paper labels my coaster rate went down to nearly zero. If you really want lables get some of the disc's you can print directly on and buy yourself a cheap Epson r200. Epson has remanufactured ones shipped right to your door for 77 bucks.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sams club has the epson r-200 for a smidgen under $80