1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CoD4, what a pain in the....

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Serenic, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Serenic

Serenic Member

I went out and bought some parts so basically I have a new computer. I installed TES:Oblivion and CoD4 and when I tried to play them, after around 5 minutes to around 30 my computer would freeze and the music would loop, Ctrl+Alt+Dlt doesn't work and Alt+Esc doesn't work either, the only thing I can do is a manual reboot. Once I patched Oblivion it ran fine but I've updated CoD4 and it hasn't helped at all. I JUST updated my drivers today and CoD4 is still freezing(both SP and MP).

Specs are as follows

Windows Vista Home Premium
    nForce 680i LT sli
    GeForce 8800GT superclocked edition 512mb
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6750 2.66GHz
    Hitachi Deskstar 320GB SATA2 HDD
    2x 1GB Buffalo RAM
    Enlight 650W ATX Power Supply ATX12V V2.2 20/24PIN 80PLUS Triple 12V Rails Active PFC 120MM Fan RoHS (SLI ready)

as for temps

CPU 28-34C
    HDD 27-30C
    SYS 26-30C
    (temps are only 30+ while running games so I doubt it is an overheating problem)

I AM running these games on max settings with 1680x1050 and they ARE running perfectly fine with 60+ FPS........until it freezes anyways >_< So is this just a Vista problem or is it my actual computer?

2. Serenic

Serenic Member

Just a little update. I decided to play some Oblivion again and well, guess what... IT FROZE! I also just re-installed Far Cry as well as World of Warcraft. Now, my World of Warcraft is still doing its reeeallly long update proccess so I haven't tried it BUT I played Far Cry and that froze as well. So far it seems all of my games are freezing.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

What are your 8800GT's temps? The 8800GT gets hot real easily (90C) because of the small 1 slot cooler. Use rivatuner to monitor the cards temps.

Try updating the videocard's drivers? Other than that, I think it is a heating problem as freezing usually indicates a overheating graphics card.

4. Serenic

Serenic Member

Yeah I just installed and set up Rivatuner last night and it's working; the temperature was only in the 50's and all of my drivers are up to date. Something new happend last night as well, I tried out CoD4 after setting up Rivatuner and it froze once again, except this time it went to a blue screen and my memory started to dump. I don't think this is the problem but I hear vista uses alot of resources to run, so i went out and got 2x 2GB DDR2 OCZ sticks of RAM, haven't tried the run any games yet seeing as I just got home but i'm gonna test it out now.

5. chicago08

chicago08 Member

You're not the only one with this problem. I just put together a new system just like yours, and Oblivion consistenly freezes after 30 minutes or so of game play. Everything looks perfect, and then all of the sudden green dots appear on the screen and 5 seconds later my system freezes, with the only option being a hard reboot. I downloaded the latest Oblivion patch, but it didn't help. Is it Vista, or the video card?!

My specs:
    Windows Vista Ultimate, 32 bit
    GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6850 3.0 GHz
    Asus P5N32-E SLI 680I Motherboard
    WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA2 HDD
    2x2GB Crucial Ballistix RAM

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well I doubt it's vista, but heres something to consider: sometimes when I play Crysis with my Q6600 overclocked I get a BSOD... However when I turn the clocks back down to stock, everything is perfectly stable.

Try putting your graphics card (if it is overclocked) back to default settings as well as your CPU.

7. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

1. Get your GPU drivers directly from the NVIDIA website.
    2. It just may be your MOBO. Ive heard alot of problems from the 680i LT edition