1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Code Free DVD warning

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by RobJapan, Aug 26, 2004.

1. RobJapan

RobJapan Guest

Hi all,

Just feel it’s my duty to warn as many forums as possible about www.codefreedvd.com. As far as I can make out I have lost £295 ($531) to this company.

A few months ago I ordered a multi region player from Code Free. I’m English living in Japan, and due to confusion about my address my credit card was refused. Code Free’s customer service at this point was very good. I now think it’s because they wanted my money at any cost.

I ordered the D8500 and it arrived after about 10 days. The player was inferior to the one on the site (for example, no built-in counter) but I wanted to watch those DVDs quick! But, the machine kept freezing and skipping on virtually every disc I tried, from all regions and many different established companies (eg Criterion, Fox, Warner etc).

After many weeks of emailing I finally got a reply and was told to throw away my player and another would be sent. The new player was again inferior to the website model and it had the same problem – freezing and skipping! Exasperated I asked for my money back and was told I had to return both players – good job I DIDN’T throw the other one away then.

I returned both players 6 weeks ago and tried contacting CodeFree last week for an update on my refund. I have emailed SEVEN times (4 times to Mark Thompson, 3 times to the contact addresses on the site) and have heard nothing. Today I tried to phone the company but am repeatedly met with an ominous engaged tone.

Code Free’s site is still up so presumably they are still doing business. But, please take my case as a warning. THEY ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED!

Finally, if anyone has any legal advice for what I should do now, please let me know.

Thanks everyone

Rob Daniel

2. tontonel

tontonel Member

It's pretty simple. What you have to do is contact your credit card company and tell them the story and they will get you money back in seconds.
    At least here in US,California, that's how it works.
    Try and let us know of your results !

3. tontonel

tontonel Member

One more thing:
    Why would you buy a $500 player when you can get a Philips DVP642 (or 624) and then download a small hack that you upload to the dvd player and then you can play all the dvd-s in the world on it !
    And also plays divx, xvid asf, wmv and mpeg files !!

4. tontonel

tontonel Member

I forgot. The Philips cost me $69 !

5. kress

kress Member

Unfortunately for RobJapan he does not live in the North America and as I said in a different post, you cannot purchase the DVP642 outside North America and very recently Australia. Since you live in Japan you should purchase the DVP630 which is basically the exact same player as the DVP642.

If you insist on purchasing the DVP642 you have two choices:

1. Have someone who lives in North America buy it for you and then send it overseas to you.
    2. Buy the DVP642 on eBay from a seller that ships worldwide.

6. wyntre

wyntre Guest

Another option for you RobJapan is to simply go to whatever "Best Buy" is in Japan and find a player you want to buy. Then check back here or at http://www.videohelp.com and look up the model number to see what the region free hack is.