1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Codec problems :(

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Roland_K, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Roland_K

Roland_K Member

Hi everybody!

I have BIG troubles with video codecs. I just got a laptop and started to download codecs to (so I could watch movies on it), but I can't get any divx or xvid movies to work correctly. The movies I've tried with freeze after a couple of seconds and then countinue and then again freeze after some seconds. This keeps happening througout the hole movie. I'v downloaded all kinds of codecs, but nothing works, the same thing always happends. I have no problem of what so ever with mpeg files. My O/S is win 2000. Please help me someone!!

/Jesper

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes we were just discussing something similar (DivX playback on older PC), not to dis your laptop, but that's how they playback - they basically don't.
    If you have 800-1000MHz CPU though, you should be good.
    Laptops often have poor (or no) video acceleration, so here's a tip: Playback MPEG4 AVIs with the official DivX Player included in the DivX 5.1.1 bundle.
    Install bundle; reboot; go to DivX decoder configuration and for slower CPU you could disable post-processing. Get your latest video drivers too, and take down that giant desktop bitmap picture.
    DirectX in good shape? Lots of memory?
    If an AVI won't play in the DivX player, with the laptop in peak tune, then you're probably bunned.
    If they aaaallllmost play (but not quite) keep tinkering. Win2K often has lots of un-needed services running...
    Oh, and are you attempting playback from CD-ROM or network or harddisk? A badly-interleaved CD with a dearth of keyframes is a most difficult-case scenario.
    Good luck Roland