1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

codec problems

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by showan, Feb 23, 2005.

1. showan

showan Regular member

hey all

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to get this stupid movie to work. Sometimes when I download movies I try to play them in windows media player and it tells me error downloading codec. Then it plays the audio but no video. I updated WMP with the codec packs....same thing.

I then tried something called Windvd. Tried the movie. Wouldn't play. I get errors.

I then tried downloading something called the Nimo codec pack version 5 build 9. I installed everything except the divx codecs because I heard there was spyware in the divx codecs. Now when I play the movies i get a bunch of green on the screen and I can see it's pixelated. Can anyone help me out here? this is getting annoying as hell! thanks in advance

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

First thing I would do is get rid of all the codec packs, although that may mean a format.

Use something like GSpot to see what video codec the file uses and then just install that.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes. Sometimes the movies are DivX or Xvid video compressed and/or have an audio codec, too (e.g. AVI with AC3 sound)...
    You need a good video DECompressor first (FFDShow, Xvid+DivX,..., then useful audio decompressors or you need to extract the compressed audio from that AVI (e.g. with VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod) and process it with BeSweet in a more common MP2 form...

4. showan

showan Regular member

Ok I used Gspot to check the movie out. In the codec window it says 4cc xvid name xvid.

In the audio window it says ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Labratories Inc.

So do I have to install only the xvid and ac3 codecs to get this movie to play? And I thought there were more than one xvid and more than one ac3 codecs. This is all Chinese to me.

5. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  6. showan

showan Regular member

well I'm half way there now! Video is working fine, but I'm still having an audio problem. I can hear all of the music from the movie, but I can't see subtitles and I cannot hear any of the spoken dialogue. I know there are subtitles and I know that there is dialogue because originally when I was screwing around with this I was hearing dialogue and seeing subtitles.

You got anymore useful info man? You're on a roll so far :)

7. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

yeah i know ;P

to get the subtitles to show up when playing the file you can use a program called 'vobsub', just make sure the subtitle file is in the same folder as the movie and that the subtitle file has exactly the name as the movie file, get vobsub here:. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror=0&software_id=382

as for not hearing any of the dialog well it could be the media player that your using, try a different player like 'media player classic' to see if that helps:. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror=0&software_id=518 . then again it could be the actual ac3filter settings, goto control panel and double click on the ac3filter icon, in the 'main' tab of the properties window goto the 'output speakers' drop down menu and select 2/0-stereo and see if that helps.

hope this sorts it out
    cheerz

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  8. showan

showan Regular member

ok it seems to be working now. I erased those two codecs you told me to get (the xvid and the AC3 thing) and I installed FFDSHOW filter because it already had those codecs in it. Changing my speakers in Control Pannel from the 5.1 surround to the 2 speakers setup worked and I was able to hear dialogue. And finally to get the subtitles I installed that vobsub thing you told me about. Movie seems to work fine.

Now my only question is will this work if I put it on my xbox and try to watch it through that :) I will have to try that out.

Thanks for the help man....you've helped lift my stress away! :)

9. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

no idea, i dont have a xbox so cant help ya out on that 1.

no worries m8, glad i could help.

10. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i think it will play on your xbox.
    assuming its modded and have the proper player, like xbmc.
    more info at the gaming forum