1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CogSwap, better then Swap Magic?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by MidnightJ, Jan 9, 2007.

1. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

Can someone tell me if you think CogSwap is better then Swap Magic? And would i be better off buying Swap Magic over CogSwap which i am currently using.

2. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

CogSwap and Swap Magic do the same so I wouldn't bother. Only difference is that you won't have to swap in/out the PSX trigger disc (assuming you're using MC exploit) with a retail copy of Swap Magic. Besides there are Swap Magic ELF files available.

3. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

I'm using the MC exploit that i loaded through AR MAX.

Would it be worth getting Swap Magic Version 3.3 ELF because i heard it loads the game im trying to load perfect, which im still downloading. It is Initial D Special Stage.

Should CogSwap work fine? And im using 16X disc and planning to burn at 4X, does CogSwap read stuff well at 4X? I heard its best to burn at 1/4 of the maximum burn speed, which ive done and got working well on my friends modded PS2, but i haven't tried it on mine yet, i am very soon though now that i have CogSwap.

4. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

I primarily use CogSwap, should a game not work I use Swap Magic Coder. Check http://orthogonl.byethost9.com for ELF files. Either burn at 4x or half the max speed of disc.

5. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

I see when i created a .bin/.cue out of Swap Magic 3.3 it created the same thing as CD Loader when i loaded CD Loader. Can the Swap Magic 3.3 load DVD-R? And should i burn it to a DVD-R? Or can i just load it on to CD-R load it up, put in a PS2 DVD game, swap for my DVD-R game and load?

6. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

Why bother burning it to a disc if you're running the MC exploit? Execute the ELF files using uLaunchELF or a similar file launcher.

7. AGwolf

AGwolf Member

if you're having a problem loading a game with cog swap, consider a double swap using a burned image of CD or DVD loader... I Had to do this for Fantavision. Swap Magic is mainly for ease of use.

8. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

Okay i get Swap Magic to boot, and when i boot up a backup it says invailed PS2 disc. Do i just put in a game, refresh the TOC size, swap for my backup then hit X? I'm fine with CogSwap but i wouldn't mine knowing how to boot games off it also.

9. AGwolf

AGwolf Member

I don't know how to get swap magic to work, Ive never dealt with it. I typically use CogSwap. Are you sure you're doing everything right?:

1) Load cogswap (I load it from my memory card using the independence exploit)
    2) once it loads, put in a large official PS2 game (DBZ Budokai 3 reads at 4.37 gigs, so I use that as my ToC disc). CogSwap recognizes it as an official PS2 disc and will display a gold disc on screen.
    3) Press X and CogSwap will read the ToC, then it will tell you to swap discs.
    4) Use your slidecard, or whatever makeshift thing, to swap the discs, then move the little drive tab back into place, and press X again.

You know you need to swap the discs WITHOUT ejecting the tray, right? When you eject the tray, it erases the ToC from the drive's memory, soyou can't dupe it into thinking it's playing an official game.

And as far as burned images of Swap Magic and shit, I'm not quite sure how that would work because the DVD version of SM is 4.35 gigs, so you'd have to have an official game bigger than that to load the SM disc in CogSwap. If you're using a different swap utility (like CD/DVD loader), it doesn't matter because it's relatively small, and functions similar to CogSwap, where you need a large official disc.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

using Swap Magic
    1. Put in Swap Magic (CD for CD games and DVD for DVD games)
    2. when it loads the main screen you can then Swap for the back up
    3. press X and it will load.

Things that may effect your games working:
    1. not using a quality DVD to make your back ups
    2. burning at a wrong speed
    3. weak PS2 laser that may need cleaning or adjusting
    4. out of date firmware on your burner causing bad burns
    5. not knowing that with swap magic you also need one other mod so the PS2 will not reset when you open it.
    Fat PS2 you can use a flip top or slidecard
    slimline you can buy magic keys or an aftermarket flip top

11. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

Oh i know exactly how to do the swap methods and what not its just i load up Swap Magic, its says DVD Version, i insert a PS2 disc Gran tursimo 4 to be exact it says Insert your own program/software, i swap for a game and it usually loads after a few trys but im mostly just want to have swap magic as a backup for Cogswap incase cogswap doesn't load a game for some reason.

What i do EXACTLY is i load SWAPMAGIC3.3.ELF, its boots up it says DVD version 3.3, i insert a high TOC ps2 game it says Refreshing Toc size, then it says insert your own media, is this where i swap for my backup, then hit X Normal Boot?

12. steimy

steimy Active member

never used the ELF files myself but i would say that yes, this is where you would put in the back up.

see with a regular set of Swap Magic discs you do not have to swap for the higher TOC game.
    You just go from Swap Magic to your back up.

other things i found that you can try.
    How to launch:

Put the memory card in slot 1 and boot SwapMagic3.3, if the program "mc0:/SWAPMAGIC/SWAPMAGIC.ELF" is found and it will be launched automatically.

Put the memory card in slot 1/2 and boot SwapMagic3.3, if the program "mcx:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT0.ELF" is found and it will be launched by key "UP+L1" press.

Put the memory card in slot 1/2 and boot SwapMagic3.3, if the program "mcx:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT1.ELF" is found and it will be launched by key "UP+L2" press.

Put the memory card in slot 1/2 and boot SwapMagic3.3, if the program "mc1:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT2.ELF" is found and it will be launched by key "UP+R1" press.

Put the memory card in slot 1/2 and boot SwapMagic3.3, if the program "mc1:/SWAPMAGIC/SMBOOT3.ELF" is found and it will be launched by key "UP+R2" press.

13. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

I'm not sure you can use dual layer games (like GT4 for example)-- at least original copies of God of War and MGS2:Substance do not work for me using them to refresh the TOC (possibly because it is only reading one layer).

CogSwap/CDLoader/Swap Magic/Zoneload pretty much follow the same procedure for loading backups. After loading the ELF file, eject tray, insert original PS2 game, (after inserting the original PS2 game CogSwap/CDLoader require to hit X at the prompt), next use swap method->insert backup disc, hit X once or twice.