1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Heat Soldering Gun

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by L-Burna, Sep 22, 2004.

1. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Is it possible to use one of those Cold Heat Soldering guns doing a modchip install on a PS2.I was wondering to be honest,because in my oppinion they seem like they would be perfect for a modchip install and it only cost like 20 dollars.I wanted to install a Matrix Infinity in my system,but I can't afford to pay for a premodded or even with the installation cost.I was thinking is it possible to use this.The cool thing also I have noticed is that it only solders when it touches metal,so would this protect the motherboard from burning also.I am just a beginner so I am looking for the best advice and any help I can get.

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I found the site to get it https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/coldheat/coldheat/index/115754/ but I am not sure about this.I was wondering if anybody looked at this soldering tool yet.

3. donchihm3

donchihm3 Member

Go for it bro looks like its great

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Alright thanks donchihm3 I will try it out and see if it works.

5. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i saw a post on this in the x-box forum...

according to some guy it sends 2 different currents through each little point and when the circuit is completed it creates a tremendous amount of heat. this poses a problem because in order to make the heat, current must be sent though the point you are soldering so you could damage some sensitive parts on the motherboard. i dont really know if this is true but it seems to make sense. do a search for the thread that was in the x-box forum.

6. leeborn

leeborn Regular member

7. cdub998

cdub998 Member

Also they had this thing on the screen savers. The tip is WAY to big to do a mod chip install anyway.

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Has anybody got one of these yet and can confirm it works.I am always looking for a easier way.I ordered it,but it hasn't arrived yet.I went and looked at the thread that was on the Xbox forums,and everyone there was making speculations before even trying it.I think the tip can be replaced also,so I am not worried about the tip.I am worried about it burning up anything on a motherboard though.If not I have ordered different solder iron it is a fine point solder iron,so either way I will have one that works.I am just trying to find out if anybody has one and is working with it right now.

9. newbie888

newbie888 Member

Yeh it is almost impossible to solder a modchip with teh cold heat solderin gun.