1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Mountain

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by slb, Aug 13, 2004.

1. slb

slb Member

Tried backing up this DVD,7.5G in shrink. Won't back it up, left compression @ auto. What is a reasonable compression for a movie this size and once compressed, will Nero burn it? Tried and had no luck, suggestion please.BTW, I did read the post/guides regarding dvd9 to dvd5. tx/slb

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You should be able to do it in shrink, altho compression may be quite large. You could try substituting a still image for some of the extras and increasing compression on what's left thus reducing overall compression on your main movie.

Nero will have no problem burning it, in fact it is the default burner for shrink.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SOHW 832S dual layer[/small]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  3. slb

slb Member

Bigorange, could you please put that in layman terms?
    Could I decrease the compression, if so to what?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

When you open shrink and hit open Disc, after about a minute shrink will put up compressions for menu, movie, extras, etc.

You can click on the + at extras and each will be individually displayed. On the right side you can hit a drop down menu and customize the compression for each and/or substitute a still image for each one you don't want to keep.

By raising compression on what you keep and using a still image for what you don't keep you will lower compression on your main movie.

There is a preview window to view each one. You could also eliminate all extras by just substituting a still image for extras without hitting the + mark, or raise compression on all the same way, both lowers compression on the main movie.

By doing it this way you will retain a working menu for your movie. If you don't care about that and want movie only, hit re-author in shrink and drag the movie from the right to the left. You will then just have a movie only.

You need to read the shrink guide here in AD and use help in shrink where all this is explained. Playing with it is the only way to really learn.

Good luck.....

5. slb

slb Member

Thanks. I did read the guides but I think you are very correct when saying it just takes time and playing around with. I'll plug along with you guys assisting./slb

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

slb,

The one thing I do with Shrink is leave all AC3 audio and uncheck DTS.

7. slb

slb Member

Just notice that when I place a DVD in the pc it doesn't play. Never noticed that before. Always have open shrink etc...then inserted disk. Is the above a problem?/slb

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

slb,
    Go to start
    Click My Computer
    Find your DVD-rom and Right click on it
    You will see Proprieties
    Click on Proprieties
    You will see at the top Auto-play
    Click on auto-play
    You can now select an Action you want the burner to do when you insert a DVD

Last edited: Aug 14, 2004