1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

collecting MPG files with AC3 audio then burning to DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Xr5, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Xr5

Xr5 Member

What's the best way to collect clips on your hard drive? I'm currently storing favorite TV clips in MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio in MPG files (content was extracted from a TiVo).

Will I have any problems using these files to make DVDs down the road? Should I be collecting in the VOB format instead? What programs will let me edit my MPG/AC3 files without re-encoding?

2. oddyseus

oddyseus Guest

Now that dvdshrink is around having the reauthor mode for free it is much better to collect vob files instead of mpg. U see, mpg files need demuxing and reauthoring whereas vobs need just a drag and frop in shrink.

3. Xr5

Xr5 Member

Cool. What's so special about DVDShrink than other programs like MPEGVCR, etc.

Do I need to create IFO files and all that or can I just keep VOB files and play them in most players and edit them in most editors?

4. oddyseus

oddyseus Guest

U can drag and drop vob files in dvdshrink and it will create a dvd out of them, by just pressing a button.

With its latest version it can automatically burn them to disk if you like too. U can find a lot of guides on this link, http://www.doom9.org/doc-overview.htm] as well as in its forum, http://forum.doom9.org.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]regards
    oddyseus

http://greek.doom9.org/forum

"when u r aiming for the impossible everything else is within reach." Mike[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2004
  5. Xr5

Xr5 Member

Nice, but what's the best way to play VOB files with AC3 audio? Which software players will work? And how do I edit the VOBs if I need to later?

6. oddyseus

oddyseus Guest

vobs with ac3 or whatever sound they support (mp2 or wav) r playable by dvd soft players like powerdvd, windvd or even media player.

7. Xr5

Xr5 Member

OK and how do I edit VOB files with re-encoding anything?

8. oddyseus

oddyseus Guest

oh sorry, i missed that part :) For your case u can rename them to mpg and edit them in premiere directly or u can frameserve them with avisynth or vfapi to premiere or vegas.

9. Xr5

Xr5 Member

Vegas & Premiere will handle any Dolby Digital audio inside the VOB?

10. domlab

domlab Member

I have the same problem and cannot get DVD Shrink to accept the AC3 VOBs....

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Do NOT use editors Like Vegas or Premier to edit VOB files because of 2 reasons ,First reason is that those are destructive editors which means that when you save the edited file it has to be re-encoded which makes you Loose Quality, Secondly Vegas nor Premier will accept AC3 audio as an audio format for editing...I would suggest useing the "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" to edit Vob or Mpeg files because it does not re-encode the Files when rendering and it"s rendering will be done in Minutes as Opposed to many Hours with a editor like Premier or Vegas....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004