1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color space

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by eventual, Sep 15, 2004.

1. eventual

eventual Guest

I'm capturing from VHS with best results. This is a surpirse since I would think that DVD is more accurate. I'm having color problems when capturing from a PS2 player, but I'm speculating that the PS2 is putting out bad colors and when I capture that, it's all over the place, dark - light. My files look OK on computer... it's a 4mb/s MP2 file. But when I author with it and play that disc in the PS2, then I get the color fading, color changing. I'm aware that the card is capturing at 4:2:0 color space when I use mpeg capture and 4:2:2 color space when I use avi capture. Would this help cure the problems? Or is it the PS2 that loosely conforms to the standard?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What are you captureing from ??? A DVD or VHS ???

If you are Captureing a Retail DVD from your PS2 then the Color Changes are from Copy protection...Macrovision Copy protection Causes the Captured video to Go from Dark and Bright to dark to Bright Ect...You can also get this effect when captureing from VHS because they are also protected By Macrovision....

3. eventual

eventual Guest

The trouble is coming into play when I capture from the PS2, author, and playback in the same PS2. (I was capturing long hours, at 4Mb/s VBR) So, I also suspected my quality levels were low and perhaps luminance was being dropped altogether. When I capture from VHS, I get best results. One time I received the frame-droppage, but I attributed that to poor tape quality, a highly used tape. This is different, the reds are turning purple and staying that way until I press scan (fwd/bkd) on the remote, it re-reads it and corrects the color jumping... strange... only the 4mb/s DVDs I just made, plays most of my other backups just fine.