1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

combining files

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kobie62, Feb 21, 2005.

1. kobie62

kobie62 Member

in the past i have tried to download movies that have cd 1 and cd 2 but when i go to put them together it says that i can't because my system is a fat32. i have tried a few things but no success...any suggestions ?

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB. What format are the files in? My guess is that you will need to bust them up and reauthor.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

kobie62-- I am not sure, but I think you can partition part of your hard drive to NTFS fairly easily--bazilla would most likely be able to tell you how and if it is even possible--depends partly on how large your hard drive is I know--I am still learning, but I have seen that mentioned several times in situations like yours--bazilla?

Whitfield

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Also most movies named CD1 and 2 are quite often in AVI format.
    In these cases' I convert them to DVD format using the free VSO DivxToDVD encryption tool.

I then use DVDshrink in re-author mode to join them, and burn straight to a DVD disc.

Have a browse around Microsoft help to resolve the FAT32 to NTFS problem, I don't think there's any need to partion if you don't want to.

but if you do... check this forum out.

http://forums.techguy.org/t317633.html

happy burning

gringle

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

No need to repartion. FAT32 can be converted to NTFS, if the OS supports it. We've not been told, but kobie might be stuck with FAT32 if perchance the OS is Win98 or Me. But if Windows 2000 or XP, then conversion is possible.

I wouldn't do it, though, without a complete backup of the system. I've actually never known the conversion process to croak (and have done it a few times), but there's always a first time.

While there are many reasons to prefer NTFS over FAT32, the situation here doesn't call for NTFS as the solution. 4GB as a file limit is plenty: in a standard dvd format, the VOB files will be each limited to 1GB. So FAT32 should not be a problem.

Like Gringle says, these are probably AVI files. I haven't used the VSO tool he describes, but I'll bet it creates standard 1GB VOB files. If so, then Gringle's post probably provides the best solution: convert them with the VSO tool, then do a "compilation" reauthor in dvd shrink. All of this should be doable on a FAT32 file system.