1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast DVR Freezes

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by weewood, Jan 11, 2005.

1. deemtee

deemtee Member

I've just started to have the same freezing problem with comcast/hd-dvr. It is the same symptom as someone posted earlier, it occurs evey day at either 4:20 or 4:50 (both am and pm). I never saw a resolution to this problem.

Comcast tech help seems clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks..

2. codymax

codymax Member

Here's the solution to most of your problems.
    D*SH NETWORK

3. ASR

ASR Member

well, I'd almost go to Dish netwontwork, but when I bought my home in April of last year, they told me that I had to get the guy who sold me the home to pay his bill and 'let' me hook up with them!

I'd go for DirecTV with a real TiVo, but the cable/internet/phone deal I have with comcastic is to good to walk away from,,, and it is getting better,,,,, and they may be going to TiVo at some time

if the DVR would just go 'bloop bloop' and it still is inferior in usage, things like programing and general operation.

4. codymax

codymax Member

Is SBC available in your area? if so try going through them they have a pretty good package phone, dsl, dish on one bill.
    I'm an installer for dish and I get alot of installs that say "same address new customer" if that don't work escalate it and ask to speak to a supervisor.
    You do need to have line of sight no trees or skyscrapers the satellites are located southeast. Trees are also an issue.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  5. ASR

ASR Member

I know I can get dish network as the guy who sold me the house had it, so probably DirecTv, but the dsl is the hitch!-- just checked with the Qwest and SBC [site directed to an AT&T site] and no DSL!

There Ain't No Justice!

Guess I'm stuck with my 6,000 kb cable unless I get so fed up I want to unbundle and go for the DirecTv and pay 20 or 30 bucks a month more.

6. prgwitch

prgwitch Member

Had is similar issue with the Motorola DCT6412 III, it would freeze up regularly. CableOne (Oklahoma) swapped it out with an older DCT and the freeze up problem went way. Now I just wish the Close Captioning worked from the DVR.

(Other thread about the CC issue: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/285722)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  7. TerrileeL

TerrileeL Member

Are we this stupid? Sounds like hundreds if not thousands are being raped everyday and Comcast does nothing about it but pocket the funds.

Ok - here's my beef - over a year ago people starting posting in this forum for the very same reason I am upset today. My damn Motorola DVR box keeps freezing at either 4:20, 4:38, or 4:50 every frickin 12 hours. This is box number 3 for me all doing the same behaviors within a few days of use.

When I call, I'm told that my ticket could be escalated if I want the rep to do that - I say oh yes please do so. I've asked for someone to call, I've been told that someone will call me within 24 to 48 hours. When no ones called, I call back and ask why haven't I been phoned - what happened to customer service or did they lose that value too? I'm told well it could take us up to 72 hours to call you - well that has come and past as well. I'm on my 4th escalated ticket, I'm sick and tired and sick of paying these prices and getting crap! I'm an addict - admittingly, I feel so head over heels in love with this box real quick. I skip commercials, I'm a remote crazed person, a creature of habit watching my DVR. Pathethic!

What I don't understand is that I have been given the lastest and greatest box. Oh did I mention that this is box 6 in five months?

I haven't received any credit either - as they don't believe it's them. Further - my whole house has been re-wired and supposedly the wiring from the pole to the house as well. I'm escalated what else can I say?

People we need to unite! Are we trapped animals who can't live without our cable and DSL and toys?

I haven't read any solution other than going to dish - but I too have a sweet deal and want to keep my package for the full 18 months.

There is an idea I have though, which I got from another website. If that works (a process of deleting the HD) I will post it here.

Please - Please post your update or hints or suggestions, I really want to ear them and get it resolved after more than a year in this forum.

8. amblin

amblin Member

The DVR problem is software. I've had problems for months. I bought a TiVo yesterday. I also heard from one of the techs that Comcast bought TiVo (which is disconcerting), but I cannot watch any show that records which makes my DVR useless. I got credit for the month and will return the box on Monday. Good luck with your DVR problems. IF you are on the West coast, sometime this year (last I heard from one of the techs was June), Time Warner will be taking over, but the date keeps getting pushed up, so who knows when.

9. ASR

ASR Member

Yes, my DVR sucks. It freezes, it does not work very well at best. The functionality is just not as good as a TiVo. But the evil cable company has me with a cable / internet / phone package that is just too good to walk away from,,, unless I win the lottery! $107 a month for unlimited phone (48 states), 6mb internet and the DVR with basic +hbo. I heard Comcast will offer TiVo at some point for extra $$$ but we are in microsofts (Comcast dvr software) backyard and I hear a rumor that we will NOT have TiVo’s here. The TiVo is soooo much better with selection of shows, the different utilities like showing all HBO movies or series or searching by a certain actor or genre,, plus that bloop bloop sound the TiVo makes is cool.

10. amblin

amblin Member

I set up my TiVo last night. It will not affect your package that Comcast is giving you. I have digital cable Silver package and internet. You will still need your Cable box. You can exchange your DVR cable box for a regular digital cable box OR hang on to the DVR and fight to get them to repair it and be able to use both the TiVo and the Comcast DVR for recording. I tried it last night. I can still watch shows that recored correctly and record to the Comcast DVR as well as to the TiVo. The picture using TiVo is "phenomenal". I NEVER had that good a picture using the Comcast digital box. Right now, you can get TiVo box at Best Buy for $69.95 after $150 rebate. The service is awesome as well. You never wait more than a minute or two and everyone is professional.

11. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I do work for Comc*st.

@ wesabi, F.C is where I used to work, when the DVR came out.

Most people are having problems. I've been through 3 boxes,myself.

the problems I've seen people have are, problems w/ playback,

sometimes does not record whole program,

& also the frustrating delayed remote functions.

It's just that Motor*la SUCKS.......

Word is that, maybe in about a year in a half or 2 years the boxes will be made by Panasonic.

Will probably have a 250GB Hard Drive in it too.

Much more space to record.

Another thing I've noticed w/ these boxes is that , when they get about 65%-70% full, they start acting funny.

If your HD is about 95% full & up, when you change channels, you'll get an error message.

It's because the HD is too full to even pause,or rewind live T.V.

So delete as much as you can, after watching something you've recorded delete it as soon as you can.

Hope this helps some AD members out.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  12. megnut

megnut Member

my dvr box has frozen atleast 6 times in the past 4 months. I'm so sick of calling them.

I was wondering, if I unplug the dvr box will it delete the recordings? atleast 4 epople ive talked to at comcast said it will but the last guy i talked to assured me it didnt.

so now im stuck with being afraid to unplug it and not wanting to call them... I'm just so fed up with comcast...

someone help? :(

13. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

NO

If you unplug the box to reset it, you will NOT lose the recordings.

It will take awhile though, to be able to record something again.

Because the info bar has to reload all the information again.

Should take about 45 minutes.

I'm not sure if you have to reset up a future recording you might have had set before, for say a few days ahead of time.

Or a series recording.

14. megnut

megnut Member

geez it takes that long? lol. i think id rather just call and have them reset it though that only take 10 minutes or something....

thanks though! :)

15. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

The people over the phone.........don't send the right signal, to reset it though.

16. ASR

ASR Member

well now I am ALMOST ready to bail comsplat. got my bill and my great bundled package went from 107 a month last month to 171 duckets! it's a constant struggle with comcasplat, if not over the quality of the equipment then it's the bill-- a couple months ago my bill was over 200 due to an 'error' ,,, they charged me for some special sports season package. even when working at it’s best, the dvr is far inferior to a TiVo, the functionality of things like programing searches and the dang thing does not even have a slow function—and it never works at ‘it’s best’ or at least rarely. The only thing holding me back on the directv / TiVo,, well now it’s 2 only things; no dsl available here and now, I’m told [at best buy] that directv is going away from TiVo,,, grrrr but I do have my old 30 hour TiVo!

17. deemtee

deemtee Member

At the advice of someone (I dont remember who/from-where), I removed all of the extra times per recording (ie additional minutes before AND after). This solved my freezing problem and I havent had 1 freeze since I did that....go figure...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  18. ASR

ASR Member

that sounds mighty weak,, why should extra time freeze things up, unless maybe it's conflicts that it's confused about,,, I'm still tweaked about my great bundled deal going to 171 a month, I sure wish I could get dsl here!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  19. ASR

ASR Member

I pulled the plug on Comcast last week—went for a deal from Qwest bundled with DirecTv.

I was a bit leery as DirecTv is phasing out TiVo, but it seems that the DirecTv DVR box might just even be better then a TiVo! Compared to the comsplat DVR. I’m still getting used to setup and features, it seems like I’m having a little problem with shows that are on multiple channels, like ‘24’ which is on A&E, Fox and UPN as well as another Fox that’s not local. Got escalated to 2nd tier tech support and 2nd tier sounded even more confused, after 45 minutes and no clues I hung up when she [tech support] put me on hold, again. I decided to do a reset and call it a night. Again, it’s far better then Comcast but the jury is still out regarding the change from TiVo, [I still have my 5 year old DirecTv TiVo unit]

The picture is far sharper then the Comcast picture though.

20. bcmcm

bcmcm Guest

Hi

Reading your freezing problems with the DVR box and not had that problem. I have however had the DVR shut down and reset itself. This is the 2nd DVR in 1 year and both reset themself.

Anyone else had this problem?