1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast DVR option

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by charliec, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Is it illegal to spread it?

2. Curly2000

Curly2000 Member

I recently got a DVR box, when I ordered it I asked the rep if I could connect a recordable DVD unit or a VCR to it. The rep said no problem. Now I had the DVR box for a week. I think it's cool, I've never had Tivo. I also bought a DVD recorder that has a 200GB hard drive in it. I had an issue with trying to connect it because the DVR box doesn't have a cable out jack! I connected the recordable DVD unit to the DVR unit by connecting the cable DVR box to the recordable DVD unit- and then having the Recordable DVD unit connect to the TV using Svideo cables. But I lost the DVR function in the cable box. On Demand worked, but DVR didn't. I called Comcast, they're supposed to come over and hoof up this stuff.

3. KainX

KainX Guest

its really super eady to hook up though if you had one little piece for it

4. smalls101

smalls101 Member

I was playing around with my dual tuner HDTV box from Comcast, and discovered that by plugging my ipod in though the firewire port, i managed to increase my recording space. Its in diskmode and i found it very interesting, but i dont feel like recording football on my ipod if i cant watch it. Who knows maybe other HDs work.

5. Tauri

Tauri Member

My parents have a Panasonic ReplayTV, and the interface, ease of use, functionality, and the like are mind-blowing. My neighbors have a TiVo, which, in my opinion, has a mediocre interface.

The Comcast DVR that's at my apartment, on the other hand... Well, it's a Motorolla I think, and it has a horribly designed interface, the menus are in F@$%ed up places, the damn thing mutes itself if it turns itself on to record something, and you can't unmute it (So I had to yell at my roomates to never turn it off...). And in general it is of low quality. HOWEVER. It does precisely what it's supposed to. It records shows and then you can watch them. And at only $6.99/mo, it sure beats the hell out of buying a $899 box and then paying for a subscription to download the TV guide.

Another nice thing about the Panasonic boxes is that someone's hacked them so that you can upgrade the HD. My dad and I switched out the 30GB for a 120GB, so that we have tons more recording space. Of course, now it crashes every now and then... every couple of months or so. But that's not really the end of the world.

So anyway, if you have the money I'd recommend a Replay TV 4400 (which has ethernet! I don't know how it works, but...). But if you just want a DVR and don't want to pay a lot, the Comcast box is... acceptable. So yeah. That's my $.06

6. bryanw

bryanw Member

I got my Comcast Motorola DVR a few weeks ago. It did not come with instructions, so I don't know if it has problems or what. I can not record and watch another program. That kind of sucks! Also, I can not pull up the guide when I am watching HD channels.

The standard channels 2-96 are not that great. The HD channels are fantastic and the other channels after 100 are pretty good. HD channels record with perfect quality. I do get an occasional audio problem, but that happens when I am watching live also.

7. dannybart

dannybart Member

Hey..call up Comcast and request the newest DVR remote. I had the same issue with the 1 box in my bedroom. I couldnt swap tuners when something was recorded. I took the remote from teh other box (which works fine) and used it in the bedroom. Everything worked fine.

8. mrluck51

mrluck51 Member

i have a Moto DVR from Comcast and i love it! dont know how i was able to live in the pass without it! True, it does have some hang-ups but doesn't all technology in the begining? they only annoying problem i have now is when the DVR mutes itself while recording from time to time, and the filter option could be more in depth.

only thing i wanna know now is how to get the DVR recordings to my PC.

9. dwarddo

dwarddo Member

I tape from the Comcast DVR by playing the event to the TV since I attached lines directly from TV to VCR, but I am not happy with the hazy diagonal lines (60-cycle static?) that stay superimposed onto the taped edition (as proven by pressing TV/VCR button).

10. wbrennan

wbrennan Member

I have a motorolla DCT 6412. Unable to receive digital sound (surround sound) from TV shows that are produced in surround sound. I have a digital audio connection from DCT box to receiver I get stereo sound but no surround sound like dolby 5.1. I know it's not my equipment since I get 5.1 surround sound just fine from my DVD player via an optical connection. Has anyone had any experience with this issue ??

11. droop_e

droop_e Member

I have Comcast DVR and I think its the greatest experiance to watch TV?!?! I haven't had my plug with TIVO but Im sure most wouldn't let go. I have the Dual Tuner Moto 6312. recently the cable system in the bay area has been upgraded to ALL DIGITAL and all my channels come in a digital format. Which corrected the ANALOG problem I was getting and Im sure most. I have great picture quality and never have had an issue with it since installed. I've had minor problems like freezing but i figure it was expected with new product. I've seen some post about transfering files over to PC... IT IS POSSIBLE. Just google "COMCAST DVR TRANSFER" you will be able to find drivers and hook up your firewire to your PC if compatible!

12. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Here's a link to the tutorial on how to record High-Def (and SD) programs to your PC from your Motorola DCT6412 thru a Firewire connection:

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html

For playback I recommend TheaterTek (not free) or VideoLan (free). I use HDTV2MPEG2 to edit out the commercials. An episode of CSI in High Def usually takes about 5-6 Gigs so get the biggest hard drive you can afford.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2006
  13. ExodusNJ

ExodusNJ Member

I've dealt with many different pieces of hardware over the years. So far this setup has been one of the easiest and I've only glanced over the install guide. But it's great that the guy bundled everything and added the link to HDTVtoMPEG2. This is one of the best guides I've ever seen. Thx to whoever wrote it.