1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast DVR to Super VHS

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by unsavage, Mar 8, 2005.

1. unsavage

unsavage Member

I havd a Comcast High Definition DVR with "On Demand" and it really is nice to be able to record movies off of Showtime or any other Premium channel that I subscribe to. However, I would like to be able to record (not burn) live TV in standard and high definition from the box. Comcast says the DVR dosn't have the capability to send either signal to a VCR. I can't aford to purchase a set top TV recorder/burner at this time. I just want to be able to record a movie for a friend or family member on video tape that dosn't have any premium channels. Is it possible and if so HOW? Thanks Much!

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

my guess is comcast says it doesn't have the capability because they don't want people taping shows. I would assume your DVR has video outputs, correct? What cables are you using to connect it to your tv? composite (one yellow rca), s-video, component, or DVI for HD? There should be at least more that one video output from it. My replay has 2 composite outputs and one svideo out. If there is an open video output composite or svideo jack just connect that to the video input of your vhs deck.

3. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

On a SVHS, it's still Standard Definition as that's the format... You can use either the SVideo or Composite Video out and a y-splitter on the audio to record to a VCR or if you want to record everything, get a DVHS Deck and then use the IEEE-1394 port.

4. unsavage

unsavage Member

I am tempted to just put away the old (although in Perfect condition) 1979 JVC Super VHS VCR (cost my deceased brother-in-law $1,600.00 new) and buy a Lite On LVC-9006 DVD Recorder/VCR COMBO from Comp USA for $279.99 after rebates. The only concern I have is that it will supposedly record and subsequently burn to almost all format DVD's up to 6 hours. However, the HQ mode has a maximum of 1 hour. One hour isn't long enough to record the "On Demand" movies off of one of Comcast's Premium Channels. I have Showtime and HBO. I wan't to build a nice library of good movies stored on DVD. Question? do you think the SLP mode, i.e. up to 6 hours would be of a high enough video and audio quality to satisfy the average movie fan. And do you think this unit would hook up and work with Comcast'S DVR.

5. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

You sure you have a 1979 Super VHS VCR since I don't think Super VHS existed in 1979. VHS maybe because I have the high-end models of the best Super VHS that Mitsubishi and JVC built and those came out in 1988-89 for almost $2000.00 each. What you should do is buy a DVD Recorder from Best Buy just to try out if the quality is good enough for you or not since you have 30 days money back return policy. Any unit that has SVideo or Composite or RF Input will hook up the the Comcast DVR box just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2005