1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Throttling BitTorrent Traffic, solutions?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by aspire180, Sep 5, 2007.

1. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Anyone know of ways to work around Comcast's throttling practices with BT?

I read somewhere about setting up VPN connection, would this work?

Thanks

2. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

They posted a statement that they werent throttling connections, but if they are, tunneling/VPN should work. Not experienced with any of that, but I have read those are the solutions to being throttled.

3. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

They're definitely doing something, connections have not been the same for awhile now...Seeding, everything, is different...Rampant talk of it on the net as well...And believing Comcast?....I don't think so.

Regretfully, the way their monopoly works, no one else has cable net service in the area...Ridiculous

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

For me, with Comcast and Azureus, encryption and lazy bitfield worked.
    However, there are a number of people that this did not work for.
    The people at Azureus have been working on a solution just for comcast users.
    They recently posted about an experimental patch for Comcast users for whom encryption/lazy bitfield did not work:
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1816728&forum_id=291997

I read Comcast's denial, after seeing my seeding blocked, and checked the Sandvine site.
    Sandvine's pitch is that they can manage P2P so that it does not stress the carrier's bandwidth and still allow P2P traffic to continue without much affect.
    So maybe Comcast's denial is valid, but the Sandvine program is not doing what it is supposed to do.
    In either event, the net effect is throttling of P2P.

5. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Keep thinking (ok, hoping) that utorrent comes out with a patch of their own for this...I figure it has to be a matter of time, right?

6. slew0408

slew0408 Guest

i originally thought that my torrents werent seeding because noone was downloading from me even though there were hundreds of peers, then i found out about the throttling. ive been searching high and low for solutions but im lost. i dont know how to use the vpn methods or the tunneling methods. im thinkg about giving up comcast altogether

7. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

If it's any consolation, I switched to AT&T/Yahoo DSL this past week after cancelling Comcast for these reasons...It's been a week but I'm pretty happy...The speeds have actually been better, setup was a breeze, monthly fees are less and I just needed a minimum phone line ($5.70/month)...So, it's an easy plunge to make.

My favorite was when I cancelled with Comcast and the rep was like 'What?...Throttling?...What is that?'...I said, 'Sandvine, thanks anyway'.

8. Jdish255

Jdish255 Member

Pretty sure I'm getting the same treatment from Comcast. Just switched to their bundled service and noticed speeds coming to a crawl. Speed tests show drastic changes, but tonight noticed what appeared to be P2P throttling.

Had a few torrrents open and going very slow, using hardly any bandwith, pages to the web loading slowly too. Speed test showed 476/79 but very slow pages. Closed the torrents and immediately jumped to 5.1/2.4 then 10.7/2.4!!!

I'd just like to know what good is the bandwith if I can't actually use it? I guess i can run feel-good speedtests all night but frankly SNET/Yahoo DSL was way faster and this is an incredible ripoff. I have Cablevision in a different part of the state and it just blows this out of the water. I'll be looking to switch back if this isn't resolved soon.

I will be complaining but if anyone has a workaround (I'm using a USR router) I'd appreciate some help.

9. deuce189

deuce189 Guest

Well it has to be going on, I actually just got comcast's new wifi package, that come w/ wireless routher modem combo. Well anyways at first i just thought it was my modem/router losing connection. Two tech came out and kept fixing it well after a little play i learned that my connection kept resetting and it would only happen when i was downloading from bittorrent. Well i was infuriated, i just paid 150 bux for some guy to plug in a box so i could have a shitty server. Anyways i called comcast again explaining to them the explicits to the situation, fact it only happens when i download. I know i just gave away to them that i used bittorrent downloads mistake anyways first time i called explaining lady operator told me that she was going to transfer and immidiatly hung up. Second time i called i finally was able to get some kind of explanation. He said specifically that they were having server problems and that it was affecting costumers who were using p2p or torrent to download and that it was being addressed. Well all i can say if they are purposely doing this, they are dramatically hurting thier business, i'm switching to alltel dsl next week.