1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast to shut off my internet if I continue to use to much bandwidth!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Domreis, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

So I just received a phone call by an automated computer saying that i use than my share of bandwidth every month.... The machine told me that is my 1'st warning and after my second warning I will be disconnected.

What is exactly is my 'share' The thing that pisses me off is it doesn't tell me any details, so how am I suppose to cut-down on my usage.

Yeah I do use my connection quite frequently if I am playing on xbox live or if I am uploading a youtube video and whatnot!

I guess am I am just trying to see if anyone else here has been told this!

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. ireland

ireland Active member

Heavy Internet users unplugged by US cable company

A computer user in Chicago. Several Internet users in the United States have been unplugged by their service provider because they download too much, a press report said here Friday

Several Internet users in the United States have been unplugged by their service provider because they download too much, a press report said here Friday.
    Cable Internet and entertainment provider Comcast "has punished some transgressors by cutting off their Internet service, arguing that excessive downloaders hog Internet capacity and slow down the network for other customers," the Washington Post reported.

Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas told AFP the company was addressing "the problem of abusive activity that adversely impacts on everybody else's experience."

"I can't give you a number" for clients who have been disconnected, said Douglas, while assuring that customers whose plugs were pulled are "very rare."

According to the Washington Post, a customer would have to download the equivalent of 1,000 songs or four feature films a day to trigger a disconnection warning.

Comcast gives customers a month to fix problems or upgrade their service before they are disconnected, the Washington Post said.

An unplugged client in Rockville, a suburb of Washington, has filed a complaint with the county he lives in, saying his contract with his service provider states that he is entitled to unlimited Internet access, officials in Montgomery County said.

A recent report by the ABI market research company warned that the growth in demand for "bandwidth-hungry services such as HDTV and online gaming is leading to a critical lack of capacity" in US cable operators' networks.

"Cable TV operators trying to satisfy the increasing bandwidth demands of HDTV customers feel very much like the thrifty grocer who tried to cram ten pounds of potatoes into a five-pound bag," ABI research director Stan Schatt said last month.

"The increasing bandwidth demands on cable operators will soon reach crisis stage, yet this is a ‘dirty little industry secret’ that no one talks about."

http://www.physorg.com/news108449464.html

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. ireland

ireland Active member

Comcast cuts Internet service to bandwidth hogs
    http://www.savannahnow.com/node/357892
    Kim Hart | Monday, September 10, 2007 at 12:30 am

The rapid growth of online videos, music and games has created a new Internet sin: using it too much.

Comcast has punished some transgressors by cutting off their Internet service, arguing that excessive downloaders hog Internet capacity and slow down the network for other customers. The company declines to reveal its download limits.

"You have no way of knowing how much is too much," said Sandra Spalletta of Rockville, Md., whose Internet service was suspended in March after Comcast sent her a letter warning that she and her teenage son were using too much bandwidth. They cut back on downloads but were still disconnected. She said the company would not tell her how to monitor their bandwidth use in order to comply with the limits.

"You want to think you can rely on your home Internet service and not wake up one morning to find it turned off," said Spalletta, who filed a complaint with the Montgomery County Office of Cable and Communication Services. "I thought it was unlimited service."

As Internet service providers try to keep up with the demand for increasingly sophisticated online entertainment such as high-definition movies, streaming TV shows and interactive games, such caps could become more common, some analysts said.

It's unclear how many customers have lost Internet service because of overuse. So far, only Comcast customers have reported being affected. Comcast said only a small fraction of its customers use enough bandwidth to warrant pulling the plug on their service.

'Competitive pressures'

Cable companies are facing tough competition from telephone giants like AT&T and Verizon, which are installing new cables capable of carrying more Internet traffic.

The cable companies collectively spent about $90 billion in the past decade to improve their networks. And on cable networks, several hundred subscribers often share an Internet connection, so one high-traffic user could slow the rest of a neighborhood's connections. Phone lines are run directly to each home, so a single bandwidth hog will not slow other connections.

As Internet users make more demands of the network, cable companies in particular could soon end up with a critically short supply of bandwidth, according to a report released this month by ABI Research, a New York market-research firm. This could lead to a bigger crackdown on heavy bandwidth users, said the report's author, Stan Schatt.

"These new applications require huge amounts of bandwidth," he said. Cable "used to have the upper hand because they basically enjoyed monopolies, but there are more competitive pressures now."

One-month warning

To trigger a disconnection warning, customers would be downloading the equivalent of 1,000 songs or four full-length movies every day. Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas declined to reveal specific bandwidth limits.

"It's our responsibility to make sure everyone has the best service possible," he said, "so we have to address abusive activities so they won't damage the experience for other customers. "

Companies have argued that if strict limits were disclosed, customers would use as much capacity as possible without tipping the scale, causing networks to slow to a crawl.

Some customers are unaware they are using so much capacity, sometimes because neighbors are covertly connecting through unsecured wireless routers. When they are told of that possibility, many curb their use after an initial warning, Douglas said. Others, however, may be running bandwidth-hungry servers intended for small businesses from their homes, which can bog down a network serving a neighborhood. Comcast said it gives customers a month to fix problems or upgrade to business accounts before shutting off their Internet service.

Joe Nova of North Attleboro, Mass., lost Internet service after Comcast told him that he was using too much bandwidth to watch YouTube videos, listen to Internet radio stations and chat using a Web camera. He and other customers who complained of being shut off said they were not running servers from their homes.

"Sure, I'm online a lot, but there's no way I could have been consuming that much capacity," Nova said.

How other providers handle the demand

Other Internet service providers, including Time Warner Cable, Verizon and AT&T, say they reserve the right to manage their networks, but have not yet suspended service to subscribers. Some AT&T customers use disproportionately high amounts of Internet capacity, "but we figure that's why they buy the service," said Michael Coe, a spokesman for the company.

Cox Communications said the bandwidth demand on its network has doubled every year for the past six years. It has boosted its speeds twice in the past 18 months to keep up and offers tiered service plans for heavier users, spokesman Alex Horwitz said.

When Comcast canceled service to Frank Carreiro, who lives in a Salt Lake City suburb, he started a blog about the experience. His wife and six children then relied on sluggish dial-up Internet access until a phone company offered DSL service in his neighborhood.

"For a lot of people, it's Comcast or it's nothing," he said.

Bob Williams, director of HearUsNow.org, a consumer Web site run by Consumers Union, said the vagueness of Comcast's rules is "unfair and arbitrary."

"They're cutting service off to the people who want to use it the most," he said.

Schatt, the ABI Research analyst, said he expects cable companies to spend about $80 billion over the next five years to increase network capacity. In addition, they may acquire airwaves at an upcoming federal auction and could lay fiber-optic lines over their existing cables. Switching to digital-only programming could also help conserve capacity.

Comcast, Cox and Time Warner say they have more than enough capacity to meet demand and are adding new technologies to strengthen signals. Bruce McGregor, senior analyst at Current Analysis, a research firm in Sterling, Va., said the bandwidth bottleneck is not yet a crisis for cable companies, but it could intensify with competition from phone companies.

Companies like Comcast "need to address people who are major drains on the network" without angering consumers, he said. "They're not the only game in town anymore."

5. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Yeah... I called customer support and they didnt know what I was talking about... I dont know... If they cut me off I guess I will just be forced to get a T1 connection... :p

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

I have a earthlink cable connection, and it says unlimited use. So they wont be disconnecting me right, because it says unlimited?

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Comcast advertises as unlimited usage also, but as you can see they reserve the right to discontinue service to any one at any time for any reason...in this case getting more for your money than they bargained for.

8. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Yeah I thought that is was unlimited usage but then i got this call... I dont know.... If they cut me off then I call my good buddy who just happens to be the washington state attorney general

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

Yeah please do so, because they seem to be making false claims. This type of thing should NOT be in fine print, but should clearly be displayed.

10. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I can't find the story but I heard on my local news about a user who got banned from Comcast because he "used it too much".

He told Comcast that, when he signed up, they had advertised it as "Unlimited Usage", you can use it as much as you want because you are paying for it. Well, they claimed that the "fine print" states that its unlimited "Access". You can get on the internet as much as you want but you can only use so much bandwidth.

Maybe thats true, but unless you download ~0.5 (half) a Teyrabyte or more a month I don't think you should get cut off. Heck, between my sister, my dad and I we probably average around 75-100GBs of downloaded data a month.

Some months it greater then others and some months its a lot less but I would say over the past year my house has probably used an average of 80GBs each month.

I think they probably at the area in general and if anyone really sticks out (i.e. all your neighbors use 20GB each a month and you use 100GB) then they yell at them.

Thats just a guess but that what it seems like as they don't have a "set" written, publicly viewable, download limit.

11. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I have found I use about 150-300GB a month... I depends on how much i play XBOX Live and World of Warcarft... or DOOM!

12. DDRmaster

DDRmaster Member

Comcast almost DC'd me for using Ares. Went to uTorrent and it was fine. o-O

Seriously. Comcast is so messed up. I should be getting 2-3mb/s down speed. I get about 150kb/s average.

Blah.

13. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Well I was freaking out last night because I didnt have any cable and internet, but my neighbors did... I thought they cut me off... It just turned out that my house amplifier died!

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Domeris ... the pic below was taken from my living room window: its the new comcast tower under construction (it's an old pic and its much bigger now). You're shut off threat and my constantly more expensive cable bill are two of the many means by which they plan to pay for their new 100 story glass eyesore! Living in downtown Philly, we get absolutely no broadcast reception so cable is a must if you want to watch the tube ... and its a monopoly; they have no competition so you've got to pay their rediculous bills.

[​IMG]

15. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Wow... Why do they need a tower that big??? LOL... Well it went off 4 days and I called and was told that I had exited my total level of bandwidth for the month. That didn't make any sense because they advertise unlimited service.... so I told them that if is isn't restored in 24 hours my next call would be to the state attorney general..

It came back on in about 2 hours.... Living where I live I cant get DSL and satellite because I am in a rural area and I am about 30 miles from the DSL central Hub and I am surrounded by trees... I have considered paying the extra 8 bucks a month for T1 but then what would I do about tv because Comcast and satellite are the only tv providers in my area...

I think I will still make the switch to T1 anyways just because I need the extra speed for Lan parties and just having an XBOX and 3 computers going at once just slows my network down way to much...

Ill keep you posted with my decision!

16. DDRmaster

DDRmaster Member

You guys don't happen to know (Out of experience) a better ISP available in Washington State, do you?

I'm so sick of Comcast DC'ing me every time I have too many connections coming in because my router can't handle it, apparently.

Blah... It's so damn annoying. I'll have to get my dad to do it for me.

17. TainTMe

TainTMe Member

I'm thinking you getting disconnected randomly is gonna have more to do with your P2P settings then your ISP. Its a common problem while learning the ins and outs.

18. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Seriously, switch out of Comcast...Made the switch myself almost a month ago, to Yahoo DSL....Much, much better.