1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commentary on Memorex DVD+R DL Dual Layer Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by steve7777, Apr 9, 2005.

1. steve7777

steve7777 Member

Well I thought it would be nice if sombody left some thoughts on this media. In Canada, these are the least expensive Dual Layer discs that are widely available in retail stores.

http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=1&SID=5&PID=919&FID=134&opento=3

Above is a link to the product page of Memorex.

[bold]MY EXPERIENCE[/bold]

I have burnt three of these now, 2 data discs and one DVD-9 backup. I guess what's most important is how the DVD-9 backup performed, so this is what I will detail. First of all, I had to upgrate my firmware for both my drives, because even though they are DL drives, neither one recognised the media. I copied a DVD-9 using DVD Decrypter and my ND-6500 drive and everything was GREAT! The copy plays in my commercial DVD players (Denon, Pioneer)and there are 0 problems.

However, I did burn one coaster when using my other drive, ND-3500AG. It would burn to 100% and not write a lead out, and the resulting disc was not playable on my PC.

Conclusion: When they work, they work well. Out of 3 discs 1 is a coaster but only because of the ND-3500 drive. And given the resonable price I paid for them (5$CDN/ea. on sale at futureshop.ca) I would recommend anybody to buy a 3 pack and try them out.

Regards,

Steve7777

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

3. zamarra33

zamarra33 Member

I have the ND-3500A drive. Windows doesn't even recognize the Memorex DVD+R DL disc. What firmware are using? I'm using the latest firmware and it didn't work. Tried older firmwares, same deal too.

Was there anything different that you used after installing the drive.

Any help will be great.

Thanks.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ zamarra33: have you tried the verbatim ones instead of the memorex?

5. steve7777

steve7777 Member

I use firmware 2.19 by the Dangerous Brothers. I have an external drive made by LaCie (d2). Good luck with your search.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I haven't tried any DL media yet (still too rich for me) but when I do it won't be memorex. I don't consider 66.6% a very good ratio especally for the price you pay for DL media. I will probably try verbatum.

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I'm with you Mort I am going to wait til the price comes down, and the reviews get a little better. I do not want to find myself with expensive coasters, still hearing to many playback issues on standalones. When I do I probably will go with Verbatim

8. zamarra33

zamarra33 Member

andmerr, I haven't tried the Verbatim media. I will take a look at it.

steve7777, I did use the 2.19 firmware from DB, but it still wasn't recognized. I was wondering which of the three firmwares from the zip file did you use. I also tried the RiDATA DVD+R DL and that gave the same results. I'm thinking it's the hardware and not much the media.

Emailed NEC but no reply yet. Emailed Memorex, and they ask told me to fill in a warranty form to get the media replaced, kinda make me wonder what kind of support is that.

Thanks for all the answers.

9. steve7777

steve7777 Member

I used the binaries with a windows flasher. The binaries were named 3500fast.bin.

Regards,

steve7777

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've used Dangerous Bros. firmwares for few different drives over the years, they know their stuff. However once i find a firmware that works i don't touch it again, especially as i don't like to risk too many makes of media.

As for DL media, i too would wait 'til the price drops (hang on i'm dreaming, i live in ripoff Britain!) but would go with Verbs if the price was right.