1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commercial DVD's question....

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by elitepunk, Apr 16, 2007.

1. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

I know how to copy to dvd 5 and 9, thats not the question, the question is how is it that many single sided dvd's [the commercial ones] have 8 GB or more, capacity? and where can I buy blank single sided commercial dvd-r's///////

2. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Not quite sure of your terminology. A DVD5 and a DVD9 are both "single sided". However a DVD5 is "single layered" and a DVD9 is "double-layered". Commercial DVDs are "pressed" in lieu of burning; however they are still "double layered" if the data is over 4.5G or single layered if the movie is less than 4.5G. I don't know what the difference is between Commmercial DVDs versus the DVDs you can buy over the counter. They are more than likely the same. I have never heard of any outlet that sells "commercial dvds".....

3. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

i want to buy the exact same discs that commercial video dvd's use...i want the exact quality...hope im not being confusing...i dont want to split the movie in half [ie dual layer] or compress the movie in any way... why can't i do that//

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Commercial dvd movies are double layer.
    You don't have the equipment to use commercial dvd blanks. As was stated, commercial dvd movies are pressed onto the disc, and not burned. If your burner is capable of burning double layer (DL) discs, you can get the same quality, as a commercial dvd, burning to the double layer disc. The double layer burning uses no compression, so you get a true 1:1 copy. That's the best possible copy a consumer can get.

It's not splitting the movie, any different than the commercial dvd splits the layers.

5. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

Thank you very much JVC, for the in depth reply. So what your saying to me is that it is possible to purchase Single sided-''double layer'' discs from eg. ''Staples'' etc...I ususally just bought the 4.7 GB capacity discs, so now I will buy the single sided Double layer discs with [correct me if I'm wrong] ~8GB capacity. on one side.

Just out of curiosity, is commercial pressing equipment very expensive [I imagine it would be] and, [if i could purchase it] what would be the advantage of having this equipment in my house, as opposed to just using my [Diamond approved] burner//// [and yes my burner is DL,DL]

6. club42

club42 Regular member

The advantage is that you would not be thousands of dollars in debt. The only thing better about pressed dvd's is durability.

7. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

@elitepunk

Find some Verbatim DVD+R DL (double layer) disks and download free version of ImageBurn and you will be good to go to back up movies without compression as good as the commercial ones.

8. JVC

JVC Active member

yes.........
    Do as LABOY suggested, and get Verbatim +R DL disc. They are the best.
    Other brands can be too much trouble to deal with.
    Good luck!

9. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

AWESOME, its like you guys can read my mind, should I have said it out loud the first time? I ONLY WANT THE BEST...ok ill do what you guys have suggested. Thanx. except i already have many dvd cloning tools etc...

-Jon.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Remember to set the booktyping to DVD ROM. ;)