1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commercial DVD's vs. Blank DVD Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bbarrett, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

Why is it that it seems like you can put any commercial DVD movie into essentially any standalone player and almost always has no problem playing the disk yet there are so many compatibility issues with movies written on blank dvd media? (nice run-on eh?) What brand or type do these commercial companies use? Can we buy that brand of blank media? It sure seems like that would solve a ton of problems. Are there blank dvd's that much better or do they write the data on them that much better; I don't understand the diffence and can't why it's so hard to mimic. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated!

2. malum

malum Regular member

Commercial DVDs aren't burnt. There isn't some chap on a Dell PC knocking out copies of Pirates of the Caribbean one at a time for the studio on Princos.
    They are pressed from a master.

3. bbarrett

bbarrett Member

I figured they had a hi-speed/hi-volume production method, I just wasn't sure how. So I guess it doesn't matter too much what type of media they use, it's mainly the method they use which makes all the commercial DVD's so consistent eh? Thanks for the reply.