1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comp won't boot, suggestions...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Smok86, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Smok86

Smok86 Member

Well basically when I hit my power button my computer won't turn on. A couple hours ago it was working just fine. I had turned it on just for a second to get a cd out of the drive, then turned it back off right away, and I haven't touched it in between. Now when I hit the power button, the light comes on for a split second, the fans start spinning for a split second and then it dies. The mobo light is on, so I don't think it's the power supply and I thought it might be a faulty switch but since it seems like it does attempt to turn it on because of the fans spinning for a second then the only idea I can come up with is that the mobo is shutting down right away. Now seeing as I hadn't changed, touched, or moved anything since the last time when it worked, I'm not sure what could be causing this. Last time something similar happened was when I was cleaning out my cpu heatsink and I didn't mount it properly. When I tried to turn on the comp same thing happened, just died right away, but seeing as how this time that's not the case, because everything is securely fastened, I'm out of ideas. So any suggestions or ideas as to what this could be? or how do I go about checking it?
    Thanks for any help

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

remove all power & data cables to the drives. remove all cards & ram except for videocard & a stick of ram. reseat those 2. check the can shaped objects on the motherboard which are capacitors are flat topped & not domed. try another psu because of possible bad caps.

3. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

This happened to me when I rammed a steel rod into my front USB ports (Very Long Story), I don't know if anything like this is happening to you, but all I did was unplug the front USB ports from the mobo. And viola fixed. ^.^