1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing .avi files in File Explorer?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by compact, Jul 28, 2011.

1. compact

compact Regular member

This could be a newbie question, but...

when I look at my .avi's in File Explorer, what's the best columns to view to compare.
    i.e.
    Movie.avi
    Movie .avi

Both the same film, but different versions.
    At the moment I have Bit Rate and Dimensions columns
    Are there any others to view, or add on?
    It does get complicated when you get a few different versions of the same .avi

Alternatively is there a better file explorer or software specifically for .avi's?
    (but maybe also .pef's and .mp3's as they are all downloaded to the same folder until I view/listened and moved to specific folders)

Cheers

2. jt141990

jt141990 Member

I don't entirely understand your question if your wanting to compare the files just to see if there an exact replica without having to skip through scenes then just open cmd "command prompt" type
    Code:
    cd X:\DIR\File.extension
    replace X with your drive letter, usually C then replace DIR with the directory you want you find where the file is located by right clicking then selecting properties it will show you the target/path the replace file.extension with the file name and the . extension type in your case most likely avi so it will be file.avi then once you are in the directory you need to be where both files are hit enter and type
    Code:
    comp file1.avi file2.avi
    replace the file1 and file2 names with the proper file names and change .avi extension if needed. This will either say
    where as X is the character number there was a difference or it will read
    Code:
    Files compare OK
    meaning they are an exact match in file bit by bit of data.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  3. compact

compact Regular member

Cheers
    But what I was asking is what's the details/attributes to judge an avi's quality
    i.e. Bit Rate, Dimensions etc.
    And what is the best columns to display or software to do this.

Thanks

4. jt141990

jt141990 Member

well that depends on the quality you are going for, for instances you can be running a film at 60+ fps and dimensions 1920 x 1080 <-- (the second block is key to which form of HD you have.) at 16:9 or 4:3 and that can be considered HD video depending on a variety of other instances. All in all it is really hard to explain video and audio as it is something you learn over time not all in a couple of paragraphs although a great place for forums, articles, and software all related to audio and video dedication is http://doom9.net hope this can help you find all you want.