1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatable Hard drives for xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by dlg444, Nov 6, 2003.

1. dlg444

dlg444 Member

I was wondering if we could start a list of hard drives that are compatable to work in the xbox, I have read some posts saying some people have trouble with certain drives.

I installed a western digital cavier 40 gb works without any problems

thanks
    lloyd

2. snowbdrtk

snowbdrtk Member

Maxtor Hard drives also work very well

3. NapalmStr

NapalmStr Member

question......when swapping HDs, are you able to mount replacement HD and close the xbox?

4. enog29

enog29 Member

Well it also depends on whether you want a lockable or un-lockable. You would want to lock your hdd so if you are ever on Xbox Live, MS wont detect it. If they detect your un-locked hdd, they will know if your Xbox is modded, and you will be banned from Xbox Live. With that said.....

Lockable:

IBM 60 GB 60GXP 7200 rpm 2meg cache (lockable with ConfigMagic)
    IBM 80 GB
    IBM 82.3 GB 7200 rpm (lockable with ConfigMagic)

Maxtor Diamond Max 80GB 5400 rpm 2 meg cache
    Maxtor 4R120L0 - 120 GB 5400 rpm DiamondMax 16 ATA133
    Maxtor 6Y120L0 - 120 GB 7200 rpm
    Maxtor 6Y120P0 - 120 GB 7200 rpm 8mb cache

Samsung SV1204H 120GB 5400 rpm 2mb cache

Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7200 rpm
    Seagate Barracude 120 GB

Western Digital 30 GB - WD300EB
    Western Digital 60 GB 7200 rpm
    Western Digital 80 GB - WD800BB
    Western Digital 100 GB 7200 rpm special edition
    Western Digital 120 GB

Not Lockable:

Maxtor 4D080H4 - 80 GB 5400 rpm 2mb cache (tried with ConfigMagic)
    Maxtor 120 GB 5400 rpm
    Maxtor 160 GB

Western Digital 120 GB Special edition (but have been able to get one to lock)
    Western Digital 120 GB Non-Special edition 8mb cache 7200 rpm

All have been used and have worked on Xbox(all versions 1.0-1.5)

5. enog29

enog29 Member

Yes, any pc hdd should mount in there with very little to no modification. Thats what the Xbox uses is a pc hdd.

6. ShadoweX

ShadoweX Member

I have heard that if you use the latest Evox X and a certain BIOS then you can use a hard drive larger than 120GB. Has anyone tried this successfully?

7. enog29

enog29 Member

the largest that i have seen that worked is a 137gb.

8. ShadoweX

ShadoweX Member

Yea, same here... but I see in other threads that there is a way to support the larger drives past that 137GB barrier... at least according to them. I was curious if anyone had tried it and got it working. I don't want to spend the money to get the hardware or sacrifice my current 200GB drive to try it out if it is not going to work or work reliably.

9. enog29

enog29 Member

Well, technically you can have alot more than 137, you can use 2 hdd's. You wont be able to use them simultaneously, but you can have them for different apps or mp3 on one, vids and dvds on another. You just need to make your own switch to switch between the 2. The 2nd hdd has to be a 2.5" and it will fit snugly under the dvd drive. If you ask me it involves more than its worth.

10. ShadoweX

ShadoweX Member

ok dude.. you are not understanding what I am saying. I am talking about 1 hard drive that is over that barrier. I see that Rusty Dog has given some instructions in other threads but I didn't here if anyone has tried it successfully. Of course you can install more than one using a switch... but that is not what I was asking. So if anyone has tried the "one hard drive" that is over 137GB... please post something and some details. Thanks.

11. skinny85

skinny85 Member

Is there a significant difference between the 8mb cache hard drives compared to the 2mb? 5800rpm compared to the 7200rpm? Do games load faster or what? Also, Has anyone purchased harddrive from Xbox scene, and is it legit? i'm thinking about getting the 120gb maxtor 5800rpm.

Off topic:I have external Pioneer DVD-R/RW V-105 and I couldn't get it to burn to Memorex 4x DVD-RW's.Started then abort command fail.Memorex DVD-R's work great everytime.I heard RW's are dying out fast.Any comments?

Maybe, my burner only accepts certain versions of RW media...who knows? I'm stickin with -Rs.

12. DrdigitaL

DrdigitaL Member

the lba48 barrier has been broken, in essense the xbox can now have hdd's larger then 137gb. In order to have hdd's larger then 137gb you must have a bios that supports it. In order to have a bios that supports it, the bios must first be edited with xbtool. Xbtool can be found here
    http://home.alltel.net/nghtshd/xbtool.html

13. ShadoweX

ShadoweX Member

In answer to your Hard Drive cache and speed questions... yes, the higher RPMs will have the games load faster. The higher cache will help also but that usually comes into play when you are reading amny small files or writing a lot to the hard drive so it won't make too much a difference withthe Xbox games. But overall... the speed increase is so small and insignificant, I wouldn't worry too much about the speed of the drive. However, make sure you change the original XBOX hard drive data cable to the ones that support the faster hard drives. The cable they included is of the lower standard that can't handle the faster transfer rate of the newer hard drives.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  14. xjmanfl

xjmanfl Guest

Hey guys, this is my first post and im just starting to mod the XBOX, should get my chameleon chip in this week. Anyway, I have two question relating to this HD discussion, one is how large are games usually, and the second is if any of you know if there is a how to on upgrading the HD, I am not sure whether it needs to be formatted in fat32, ntfs, or some type of linux file system. I know this is way under many of you and I apologize but if you could help me out it would be much appreciated, thanks.

15. enog29

enog29 Member

Games can range from 200MB to 6GB. Some are cd-r games, and the others are dvd, you can tell by looking at the label side of the disc, if you see a dvd-rom logo, then its a dvd disc, if not then its cd-r. As for upgrading the hdd, All you need to know is how to completely open your xbox. Here is a tutorial on it:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open1.php

Once it is opened, take out the harddrive tray, unscrew the HD, and unplug the two plugs from the original harddrve. Now take your new HD, make sure it is cable select mode, then, plug the plugs in it, screw it back onto the HD tray, and stick your xbox back it. Not too hard. Now just take a CDRW with Slayer 2.1 and boot with it. Read the installer readme that comes with the download and follow the instructions. It will automatically set up your xbox with all the necessary programs, including the MS dash. It also formats the drive and locks it. It does everything you need. This is the simplest way. No need to FTP or anything, unless you want your save file on you new HD. Hope this helps.

Sorry, but for obvious reasons I cant post where to get Slayer's Auto Installer.

16. enog29

enog29 Member

In reply to hdd speed question, 5400 rpm and 7200rpm will give you little noticeable game load difference, but if you go with a 7200 rpm, make sure you install a fan under it to prevent overheating in you xbox.

17. atulb

atulb Guest

Hey i tried doing that but nothing happens (no files are copied to new hard drive)..where is the jumper on the hard drive suppose to be set? for primary slave??? what is cable select mode?

18. bob_roony

bob_roony Member

The drive's jumper needs to be on CS or cable select otherwise it won't work.

19. weeman666

weeman666 Member

does any one know of a site i can go to, that tells me how to have duel hard drives in my xbox to back up my games and everthing i need and what i need to do it with

20. bob_roony

bob_roony Member

you can only use one hard drive at a time. backup over the network using ftp, flashftp is one app that can be used.