1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatibility Check

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by fused123, Jul 15, 2011.

1. fused123

fused123 Member

Hi, my auntie has asked me to build her a pc, i have picked the parts and was just hoping to get conformation that it's all compatible. I already have a case and optical drives.

Here is what i have in the basket:

Asrock M3A770DE 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Prcessor
    Kingston 4GB DDR3 1066MHz Memory Non-ECC CL7 1.5V
    Xilence PWM Socket AM3 AM2+ AM2 754 939 940 CPU Cooling Fan
    Casecom Silver 500W ATX Power Supply - 20+4pin ATX12V 4x Molex
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache
    Xenta SATA 2.0 to right angle SATA 7-pin Cable (Red) 46cm / 18"

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Compatible? Yes as far as I can see, but the parts are pretty questionable.
    Asrock-Junk, they make budget based products for ASUS. The ASUS motherboards are prone to fail in about a year or so as they use low quality parts. They are mostly riding on there reputation from years past when they did make good products. Oh and the mobo has no gpu on it, so you would need a video card or else you have a PC incapable of carrying the video feed to the monitor.

AMD Athlon - this is prolly a good choice. When dealing with lower end CPUs AMD is the better choice. Intel makes the better high end chips.

Kingston RAM - I havent had any problems with Kingston, but they arent exactly known for there quality. Look at G.Skill and Patriot off the top of my head. Theres a few other good ones to that escape my memory atm.

CPU Cooling Fan - Ditch it. The CPUd should come with a cooling fan that will be suggestion for what your aunt will be doing which i assume is sending email, viewing photos of the nieces and nephews, maybe some streaming video from the local news, etc. Nothing very taxing.

Casecom PSU - Never heard of it. With the money saved from not getting a CPU cooler, spend it on a Corsair PSU. This, of all areas, is the one place not to cheap out on. A 5XX watt Corsair PSU should be sufficient. Cheap psu's are bad news. They can easily damage the components of the PC, and even catch fire.

Samsung HDD - I cant recall hearing anything to negative about them. I personally do not trust them. Maybe in a year or two, but there still some what new to the HDD game, and I just dont trust them till they have more credibility. I would go with a Seagate or Western Digital. The Seagates tend to be slightly cheaper, but generate slightly more heat to. Generally it wont be much of a problem. Also, I question if she really needs 1TB
    drive if shes doing the things i mentioned above. It doesnt hurt, but I think 500 GB would be sufficient.

Xenta SATA cable - Not needed unless you really want a right angle connector. The mobo should come with 2 or 3.