1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Data Transfer from IDE to SATA

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jpc1284, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jpc1284

jpc1284 Regular member

Hey I want to get a new SATA 3.0gb/s HDD and I currently have a IDE HDD. My question is, is it possible to do a complete transfer of my OS and all my programs from the IDE to the SATA. If so what program is should i use. I plan on taking the IDE out and using just the SATA.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Use something like Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost to make the transfer.
    Don't forget to check that your motherboard actually has S-ATA ports to use!

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

Most new hard drives, if they come in a box have a utility cd that will let you clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive. I would use that software first before I purchased new software that you might only use once or twice.

4. jpc1284

jpc1284 Regular member

Ok thanks. i am not sure if my Seagate is going to come with any software but my MoBo is a Asus P5NE-SLI, not to mention i can see the SATA plugs. Another question is Seagate has a program for download on their site but it says it will copy the data to a proportional partition on the new drive. My old drive is only 75 some gb so will i be stuck with a 75 gb partition on my 250gb drive or can that be easily cleared up.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ugh, that motherboard. I had one of those for a while. Needless to say I didn't like it, and when it broke after a few months I changed it. Not one of Asus' better boards. In any case. The Seagate should fit fine. As for the partition size I'm not sure. Why not keep the existing 75GB drive for your OS and just put data on the new one? You don't have to install programs to the same drive you have windows on, not very often anyway.