1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete n00b asking for some help please!

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Andy_C, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

Hey everyone,

So it's my birthday pretty soon and the only thing i could think to ask for was a PSP. Before yesterday i thought there was no homebrew or rom scene for the psp but now i am fully aware and i really want one!

My only problem is that everything is a bit overwhelming and i'm not sure where to start. It's really confusing how people have to downgrade their firmware which is usually something that you want up to date all the time but obviously this is a battle against sony trying to stop everyone actually having fun with the psp.
    Also i have seen something in a you tube video that says if you get a certain type of motherboard with the PSP then it is impossible to downgrade the firmware.

What i want my psp to be able to do is play roms/isos ("backups") and to be able to play all the cool homebrew stuff like the snes emulator e.t.c.

For this to work would i be able to get any new psp from amazon or e-bay for example and just order a cd with firmware to downgrade it to be on the safe side and not brick the PSP with a virus on my birthday.

It seems like so much to think about now in buying one, should i ask what type of motherboard the psp has and what firmware is on it before buying if there's a possibility it will be completely useless in playing isos or homebrew?

One last thing, is playing isos and homebrew as easy as dragging the games into the memory card slot once the psp is connected to the pc?

If anyone replies to this long thread then thanks alot in advance!!!!

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

To play hbrew, PSP does not have to be connected to a computer at all times. u can do almost anything you can think of with downgradidng.

3. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

edit out

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  4. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

what i meant was, to play them is it simply drag the iso into the iso folder on the memory stick when the psp is plugged in to the comp then once it is taken out you go into the memory stick folder on the psp and they are ready to play.

Thanks for the speed replies but if someone could answer my questions about actually buying a psp and which firmware is actually best to use.

5. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

you need 3.40 OE-A for that

6. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

Is there a high chance of the psp getting bricked from dodgy firmware files and hombrew e.t.c? I never worry about this stuff with my ds but this scene is knew to me so im just curious.
    I think i'll order a cd from e-bay with the 3.40 OE-A firmware on but it still seems a bit dodgy.

Thanks!

7. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

8% chance of bricking while going to OE, no chance of brick while using homebrew

8. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

I'm sorry but i just want to double check.

Do you mean 8% chance of finding a bad file or 8% chance it will just go wrong even if you have a good file?

Sorry i just want to make sure i've got everything covered.

9. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

8% chance something will go wrong with the right file.

10. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

that's crazy, i'm starting to think it's not worth updating at all if that can happen. I'm assuming you loose your warranty if you brick your psp when trying to update firmware?

If i was to order a psp in a week or 2 would it already have the latest and best firmware on to run iso's or is the 3.40 OE-A or whatever made specifically to get around sony to run backups???

11. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

you don't lose your warranty. if the psp has sony fw 1.51 or higher, wait for the homebrew enabler to come (homebrew enabler has no brick chance)

12. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

I'm guessing the homebrew enabler is just a program that updates the firmware for you?
    If it's specifically for homebrew then im not too fussed i just want to be able to play iso's on my birthday when i have the psp without the fear of having a broken psp :(

13. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Homebrew enabler does not update firmware, just enables homebrew

14. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

i think i'll wait until that to use homebrew safely but is there no other way to run iso's safely with a fresh psp? Im guessing whatever firmware comes with new psp's now works to stop people running iso's directly from the psp?

Thanks for all the help by the way!

15. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

technically UMDEmulator is homebrew. UMD Emulator is a homebrew app that loads ISOs...

16. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

i thought to play iso's on the psp you simply needed to drag them into the iso folder on the memory stick.
    I've seen this in loads tutorial vids but they do say you need 1 of around 3 different firmware versions.

17. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

thats if you only have 3.40 OE-A.

18. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

To clarify, is there a type of motherboard which makes it impossible to upgrade the firmware?
    I saw something about this in a youtube video which may have been made a while ago so does the new firmware (3.40-OEA) override any motherboard???

Thanks again for all the help!

19. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Any motherboard will work.

20. Andy_C

Andy_C Member

:) very good to hear! think this is all the firmware info i need so thanks loads CKhaleel for you help. :)

So i can get any PS2, update firmware straight away to 3.40-OEA so i can run homebrew and iso backups and even if it goes wrong i can get another one off the warranty which is better than being stuck with a broken psp altogether :)

I'll probably find other stuff to ask about in preparation for PSP day but this was the important stuff so many thanks again!