1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete newb to 360 and got some questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by KiLLCraZy, Apr 10, 2007.

1. KiLLCraZy

KiLLCraZy Member

ok, im planning on getting a 360 for my b/day and im a complete newb and have no idea about anything with it, but from reading through these forums I kinda learned some stuff and I just need some clarification on it.

From what I understand... to this date all DVD drives are hackable/upgradable/downgradble.

I found this new thing called Blaster 360 (http://www.shopneo.co.uk/xecuter-bla...-pr-16704.html)
    and from reading it i understand you can do all firmware upgrades without ever taking apart the console again. Im guessing b4 this came out, pple always had to take apart there 360 and do something to upgrade the firmware to work the back ups?

Another thing is there there are 2 ways to play back ups? Now when I get a 360 im gonnabe backing up my owned copys of games b/c I heard from previous pple that the 360 cab scratch up ur disc bad so thats a main reason to have back ups of ur original copys. But back to the 2 ways to play back ups.... there is a mod chip version... and a firmware version? Im guessing the firmware version is doing something to the DVD drive in the 360 to make it see back ups? Which method is preferred? and correct me if im wrong but if u have a mod chip and try to go on live, u will get banned.... b/c of modification to the hard ware or something but doing it the firmware way, you will still be able to go on live and still be able to play back ups?

Basically in the end what I rele want is a 360, that plays both originals and back ups on live with no problem and would like to know how does one get started on to doing this right when they get there 360? How would I start this? Links to step by step guides or a guide posted here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance and if I have any other questions that come to mind ill be sure to post it here.

another thing.... I plan on getting the Elite Xbox.... so I would hope that these DVD firmware hacks and the blaster 360 will still work on that?

2. wabashman

wabashman Active member

the elites wont be hackable. they will most deffinitly have the benq drive that at the moment cant be modded to play burnt games.

3. KiLLCraZy

KiLLCraZy Member

damn, this is gonna suck, so my best bet is to wait maybe a month after the elite is already out to see how progress is with that then...

just in case thought... if I went to the store to buy a 360... is there something special on the box like number or something that will tell me wut kind of drive is in it?

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

it will probably be more than a month, but idk since the benqs have been out for a while now. and there is a way to look at the lot number and stuff on the back of the 360 to tell what drive it 'should' have. just do a search on here and on google to understand how to read it, bc i honestly have no clue how to do it.