1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Newbee, with complete newbee question lol :)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shotny, Feb 21, 2005.

1. shotny

shotny Member

OK... I welcomed myself to the age of DVD burning yesterday as OfficeMax had a deal I could not pass up... to the tune of $59 bucks... but I digress lol :)

Here we go... should also throw a geek alert in here...

I would like to back up my seven seasons of Star Trek Voyager, as I paid over 700 bucks for the seven packs. Right now, I kinda am not willing to spend 35 bucks for 3 2 layered DVD's (if thats what they are called... the ones with 8+ gig).

Any ideas on how to back up the DVDs to the standard 4+ gig dvd-r's? as the Voyager DVD's have the full 8+ gig of data.

Two options I had thought about are:

a. Any way to compress the files to get them to fit? or change the format?

b. Any way to tell what the actual episode files are? and just back up the episodes? Get rid of the other crap?

I hope all this is understandable... and thanks for any help possible!

Stoner

2. rhino351

rhino351 Regular member

you should have looked around before you asked. go to the top of the page and click on guides all the info is there

3. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

use the search at the top of page and look for dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. use dvd decrypter to rip to hard drive, use shrink to compress and dvd decrypter to burn. check out the guides tab at the top of the page that will help also.
    Both shrink and decrypter are free downloads.
    Everything you need to know about these programs are on this site just search and read.

peace

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  4. shotny

shotny Member

hehe :)

yeah... i am a ask q's first, jump second type of person. Think I found what I needed... with this DVD2one thing? Some comfirmantion would be appreciated lol :)

Stoner

5. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

the two programs i mentioned are excellent tools and they are free. I use both to make backups of my dvd's and they look as good as the original.
    i've never used dvd2one so i cannot comment.
    peace

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Dvd shrink and dvd decrypter are mostly used here at AD. They are free.

Dvd shrink will rip and compress that 8 gigs onto your hardrive to fit on a standard dvd-5 disc or dvd-9.

Dvd decrypter can also rip and has a burn engine to work with dvd shrink.It also does dvd-5 and dvd-9 discs.

Nero is another burning program that works great with dvd shrink. Just click nero link if you would like a free 30 day trial.

Dvd shrink and nero do 95% of my backups.

7. shotny

shotny Member

OK... Thanks guys :)

As soon as American Idol is over, I will install the programs and give er' a shot. I'll let yall know how it goes!

Againl, thanks for all of the help. Newbees dont usually fair this well, especially when all the information was in front of my face lol.

Thanks again

Stoner

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member