1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Newbie here

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Jessica99, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Jessica99

Jessica99 Guest

Hey I just bought a ps2 (version: SCPH 77001 - slimline) and I would like to get it modded to play back-ups.
    Problem is Im completely lost as to how to do this:
    Ive been reading this forums for the past hour the amount of content is ridiculous. I know these topics have been covered but I really need to clear these up.

Firstly, please correct me if Im wrong from what Ive gathered this is what I need to do:

1. Get mod chip (matrix infinity) from a site and have it installed by a pro.

2. Download Alcohol 120% (I already have it and its working) and use the guide here to burn a the ps2 DVD to a blank DVD.
    - Dumb question: In the guide it doesnt specify when I should take out the original DVD and place the blank one in?
    - Are there games out there that are too big to fit onto a 4.7GB DVD (Is FFXII or MSG3:Sub one of them?)
    - Do I ever use my given DVD burner software in this?
    - My DVD burner says DVD+Rewritable does that mean that its specified to burn only a certain type of media?

3. Put DVD back up in a play.

Anything Im missing here. I would also like to eventually download backups but ill start with this for now.

Thanks alot, again I apologize for this post I know these answers have already been given but it will take me hours to find them.

Jess

2. UnKn0wN15

UnKn0wN15 Member

well I think getting the Swap Magic with the flip top is the best way instead of getting a mod chip...

as for games being bigger you can always shrink the file...

look for the ExPERT_v1.05

In the guide it doesnt specify when I should take out the original DVD and place the blank one in?

most of the game files will be ISO format, if you want to game a game then you need to rip it and the file should be ISO...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

u take out the original after u have made the backup and ripped the game, then u can put in the blank in before u are going to burn it

and i think most games are big enough to fit, FFXII can fit on a 4.7, as stated by unknown, u can reduce the TOC, use this http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/197948

for burning, just use alcohol 120%, i use DVDdecryptor, but alcohol works as well

and i'm sure the DVD rewritable burner can use DVD+R, not sure at -R though...i don't think PS2's can use rewritable DVDs, at least mine cant

4. Jessica99

Jessica99 Guest

Thanks for the replies,

Does anyone know of a list of games that are less than 4.3gb or a list that is more than 4.3gb. Ive been searching the forums but have yet to find one.

Thanks

5. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

don't u mean 4.7? and no i do not think there is one, but generally games are less then 4.7

6. Jessica99

Jessica99 Guest

On the package it says 4.7 but when I put one in to burn it said I only had 4.3GB of space.

7. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

i'm not exactly an expert, but its probably a read error - if it says its 4.7, its probably 4.7. what dvds are u using?

8. steimy

steimy Active member