1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COMPLETE Newbie with WiiKey

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by coolzaidi, Jul 21, 2007.

1. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

I have never, ever soldered in my life. I used different methods of back-up before, such as a super-card for the DS, or swap magic for the PS2. Hopefully, I'll be getting a Wii tomorrow, and I want to mod it. I thought it would be easy at first, the installation looked easy with quick-solder method, and I had seen my brother using a soldering iron a couple of times before, so I know how to use one of them, but I never have. Now i'm learning about all these different kinds of chipsets for the Wii, and odds are against, I may getting a Wii with its legs cut off. If so, is it possible for a complete newbie to do the necessary requirements to attach WiiKey to my Wii? or is the installation quite hard for veterans of soldering as well?

2. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

If you get the one with the legs cut off, then DO NOT try and attempt to do the job. The process is where you'll have to use a dremel on the chipset to reveal the legs. Based on how you described yourself, I don't think you can do it.

3. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

lol, hey Ndarkness this is irony, moments after I finished making this thread, I searched and found the video you made on basic soldering. It was a big help and helped me get the basic gist of soldering, thanks for the video. Yea, i don't think i can do it either if the legs are cut off, ill have to find a professional in my area, or send it to modchipman, but the thing is, is that modchipman's turnaround time is too long, which is why i wanted to do it myself. I have searched for a professional in my area experienced with Wii modding, but to no avail. So hopefully, I get one with legs still attached.

4. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Ha that's pretty cool.

Well, I hope you get one with the legs still intact. And if you want then I could install the Wiikey for you.

5. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

Wow, seriously?! Thanks a lot, you're on the top of the list now if I get a Wii with cut legs. If it does have cut legs, I'll PM you, and we can work out how we're gonna do it. Sound okay?

6. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

7. sikwitit3

sikwitit3 Member

you dont need to dremel the chipset... you can solder to the tiny points at the top of the chipset :)

8. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Are you sure? First I heard of it. Nearly all the modders I know have used the dremel technique.

9. sikwitit3

sikwitit3 Member

positive mate..

if you look at the chipset you can see the 3 points at the top.. you just gotta use smaller wire.. My mate is a really good solder'er and thats how he did mine, and all the others he does..

10. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

Okay, well I got my wii today. It's D2B, but the legs are cut. Is this solderable? because i really have no idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@coolzaidi

First off you need to resize the images. If you don't a Mod will take them down when they see how big they are.

As to modding a D2B chipset with the legs cut off visit the link below. There have been a few Modifications done to the chip to solder to the cut legs...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/517095

12. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

thanks larrylje. i changed the size of images. and i don't think i will be able to this myself, ill try to get help from NDarkness.