1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely new to ripping, need some quick help!

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by FrozenSpa, Sep 10, 2007.

1. FrozenSpa

FrozenSpa Member

Alright, so I want to back u p my entire DVD collection to an external HD. I downloaded DVD Decrypter and ripped the dvd to my pc but there are several problems.

1) It ripped it into separate 5 or so files
    -(How can I merge all of them and make it just one file?)

2) It's in .vob format and I would like to convert to .avi or .mpg or .wmv. How can I go about doing that?

3) What are the .ifo files and why should I rip them?

4) What program can I use to compress the final file because all the little files total up to about 4gb and I don't really need that good of a quality if it will take up that much space. How about about 1GB?

2. attar

attar Senior member

AutoGordianKnot can convert the DVD folder to DivX.

After ripping the DVD to a folder on the hard disk, load VTS_01_0.IFO and select custom size, 700MB (if you wish to fit the movie on one CD)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64266

The IFO (information files) are used to navigate through the DVD.
    They are a required part of the DVD file structure.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is an updated ripper, that can handle modern encryptions.
    Run program, insert disk, select 'Main Movie' or 'Full Disk'

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

the .vob, .ifo and .bup are DVD structure files. the .vob has video and audio in it and the .ifo files have the instructions on how to play the .vob files (in what order and how the audio goes with the video, etc). The .bup files are back ups of the .ifo files...... then again you could have learned all this from the glossary tab on top of this page!

if you want to convert the DVD files to .avi or .mpg or .mp4 files then you need a program to do that. AVS vidoe converter can do this or you can use DVDFab Platinum to convert to mp4 (mobile device like iPod) formats. a typical .avi file of a DVD would come out to 750MB or in that range.... which is much less than a 4GB DVD. but remember it's a converted copy of a movie.... not with menus or such. to put all your movies from your DVD collection in a different format and then store them on an external HD..... why? What's going to happen if your original DVD gets damaged and can't play? Are you going to reformat your converted file of that movie back to DVD format and reburn? Seems like a lot of work to me. Just make copy and be done with it!

4. summermo

summermo Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007