1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complex I/O problem with cloneDVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by thekroon, Feb 7, 2005.

1. thekroon

thekroon Member

PROBLEM SHORT: When running multiple occurences of clonedvd simultaneously processing 2 movies at once - my system I/O drops by a power of 10X and the time to process two disks nearly triples. - take it to 3x and performance isn't worth discussing.

DETAIL:

Running Win 2k pro - clonedvd (latest) and anydvd (latest)
    2K version 5.0.2195 SP2 2195
    motherboard onboard 4X 32bit ATA 33/66/100/133
    AMD 1.2ghz 1 CPU
    100mhz front side bus
    756 mb ram - average of 4-500MB free during all processing when monitored.
    total virtual memory 2.3GB
    avail VM - 1.8GB
    F is IBM ata100 - E is maxtor ata133

I'm normally a unix freak so this problem is for the windows gurus cuz frankly - I just can't find the info anywhere on how to correct or improve this. I've looked.

This is very likely nothing to do with cloneDVD which is a superior product overall.

I run cloneDVD and process a MOVIE (any movie) as input from disk F: and I use a seperate disk and IDE channel as cache for the output files E: - then the final product is written to D: Pioneer DVR-108

I pull up performance and check the read bytes/sec and write bytes/sec. Over 20MB/sec - bursting 22-30MB/sec. seems appropriate and I have a DVD in 20 minutes written at 8x.

I think why not process two movies at once?

So I run 2 occurences of clonedvd at the same time - processing 2 movies from F: - using E: as cache for both and outputing to D: and G: both DVR-108.

you would expect some decrease of I/O but total net I/O should be close since I'm doing only READING from F and WRITING to E: this should keep from hammering the drives too much.

wrong.

My average I/O in performance drops to 1.8MB/sec and the processing time for the set inceases to 1 hour.

If I run 3 at a time - disk I/O drops to under 1MB/sec and the time to produce a single dvd5 is 3 hours - 900% increase.

As a comparison - I ran eight simultaneous occurences of DVD2OneX on Mac OS X (unix) and for lack of hard disks - simply used / <root> as input and output. The disk naturally was thrashed a bit - but so what - I compressed over 90GB of movies to 32GB appx. in 2.5 hours and cut 8 dvd's.

That's pretty normal scaling when you figure it takes 20 minutes to do a single compress.

did I miss something or is windows missing something.

2. thekroon

thekroon Member

for everyone's information I've been notified by slysoft that multiple occurrences of clonedvd should not be run.

hmmmm - disappointing and boring.

I however have discovered some unique changes that affect outcomes.

somehow - I/O channels has a lot to do with it, a lot more than it should anyway.

for instance if I process 3 movies at once from F: to E: - my overall I/O drops to under 1MB/sec -

However if I use 3 seperate DVD drives rather than hard disk as input with each DVD using a seperate hard disk as cache - for instance DVD D: -> HD F:, DVD G: -> HD E: and DVD H: -> HD I: - the I/O remains balanced and all 3 DVD's finish in about 28 minutes.

maybe some others have input on this but for once - DVD is faster than hard disk which makes no sense.

slysoft isn't interesting in chatting about it.

any other input is always interesting.
    maybe this will help others.

TK