1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component cables

Discussion in 'PS2' started by oziwombat, May 28, 2007.

1. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

Hi Guy's
    I just purchased a set of component cables for my Ver 7 PAL PS2 to connect to my HD LG TV & get a message "INVALID FORMAT" What could I be doing wrong ? PS2 is modded & has HdAdvance 3 fitted

2. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

OK I have it sorted ,I had to go into the PS2's settings & change to component

3. steimy

steimy Active member

LOL, nice. Yes you have to change the output.
    BUt you like the results, right? I love my component cables.
    Both my Xbox and PS2 run on them.

4. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

Hi Steimy & thanks for the advice.

I only play GT4 & everything much sharper & well worth the $70,but do I have to change the settings back when I reconnect to a normal TV ?

5. foolios

foolios Member

You don't change the settings unless you are changing the type of cables you are using. If you're using the component cables, you set it to RGB. If you're using the composite cables, you set it back to that ymkyadda yadda...
    And you aren't going to use any other cables on your ps2 now right? Since you love the quality that the composites give you?

Good Luck

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  6. steimy

steimy Active member

well, the only reason to change cables would be if the other TV doesn't have component inputs. Which some do not.
    I have so many things running through them i had to buy a digital component switcher that has 4 slots. Saves the open slots on the TV for other things as you have 4 things running into just one slot. Also the same for the surround sound as just one set of audio cables runs the sound for all 4 devices on the switcher.

7. foolios

foolios Member

Then yes, if you will be switching to a tv and have to switch the component cables to the composites, you will more than likely have to switch the setting, unless of course you discover that it is automatically resetting itself to the default cmyk. If you try this, could you please post here to let us know which was the case for you?
    Would help other members in the future.
    Also, if you get a messed up picture after the switching of tv sets and you can't see the setting, there was a procedure to follow in the troubleshooting manual about how to reset it to default using a controller combination. I will have to check that out and repost that info if needed.
    Thank you in advance.

8. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

My wife is getting annoyed that I have taken over the good TV & I am going to be in the poo if I don't put it on the old TV sometimes LOL
    I will try tomorrow & see if it resets itself & keep you posted

9. foolios

foolios Member

Haha, I bet!

Same thing here, I have totally taken over the wide screen television. Man, I was sooo excited when I went into settings and found a wide screen option. I totally drooled and have been enjoying it ever since.
    My s-video and component cables are in the mail. I can't wait to see how much better it will look in comparison to the composites. I got both because I won't always want to unplug my component dvd player for component from ps2. Too bad I didn't get a tv with two component in's instead of just one along with s-video and composite. But if the picture is soo dramatically better from s-video to component, then I guess I will. LOL

Or maybe there might be a box that I can plug two component units into. Anyone know of one?

Ok, good luck!

10. oziwombat

oziwombat Regular member

Check Steimy's thread above ,he has a 4 connection box thingy ,I have two comp outlets on my LG so I don't have a problem at this time .

OK I Have reconnected my trusty PS2 to the old analog TV & she kicked in straight away & have since reconnected to the Hd TV & no problems & no PS2 settings changed either way,now to the problem of my better half wanting to watch her new TV , aha Maybe we can use PIP & I would have the sound naturally. LOL