1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component or hdmi

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by missing30, Mar 4, 2007.

1. missing30

missing30 Member

Just wondering, apologize if this is a lame question, but, Is there a noticeable difference between using the component connection from my HD cable box to hd tv, as compared to an HDMI cable? I just noticed that cableguy only hooked up the rca jacks to component.
    thanks

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I have heard there is an improvement with HDMI cables. I am waiting for 3, that I ordered for 4.19 apiece. I'll let you know. Mine was recently just connected with a component cable when I got it last week.

3. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

More color saturation with the component cables as far as I can see. But my set mimics a plasma set when using the HDMI connection. (with proper tweaking, of course)

4. missing30

missing30 Member

Also, is the audio signal is carried by the HDMI cable?

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

yes it carries video and audio.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

HDMI carries the Component Video or RGB color spaces for video (and with v1.3 the xvYCC color space is also supported). There is no difference in video quality under optimal conditions. The plus for HDMI is that it is all digital and preforms better over a broad array of products for cheap. It preforms better with Digital TV because HDMI carries a digital signal that doesn't have to be convert from analog. That is the video benefit.

It also "can" carry all audio formats which makes it a clear choice for anyone that cares about aesthetics more than performance (i.e. The Wife) because it provides all Audio/Video services through one cable (instead of four or five).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  7. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

I changed over from the components type to HDMI yesterday and did not notice much of a difference, if at all. I think I may have "convinced" myself that it might be a little better simply because I had been told that it would be better. It is definitely more asthetic to have 1 cable vs 3.

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@diablos

Thanks for clearing that up.

@tsquare43

Backed up any of those red DVD lately?

9. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

It doesn't always carry the audio. It depends on the output. Some cable boxes have a DVI output. You then need a DVI to HDMI connector which will require separate audio connections.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  10. missing30

missing30 Member

I've got the hdmi out available, as well as component out which includes left an right audio, my plan was to use the l/r audio out to the 5.1 system i just got as a hand-me-down, and the hdmi w/audio to television, but then i noticed a r.c.a. looking jack that is labeled digital out. I tried it to the rca looking jack "coax in" on the 5.1 and audio worked, (have not checked the quality of the sound though, just that there was audio). Are you familiar with the "digital out" or the "coax in" jacks?

11. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

@Garmoon

Nope, no red DVDs. I bought several packs of the 16X OD media and I am on my next to last 50-pack. Think I am going to pick up some TY next. Used a lot of Verbatim and OD discs, but never used TY. Might do some printables -- bought an Epson R200 3-4 months ago, and never used it to print on the disc.

Just another thought re: the HDMI cable. Does it make any sense at all to have the HDMI and the component cables hooked up at the same time. Someone at work said yes, but that, to me, seems to defeat the purpose of the HDMI.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@tsquare43

That doesn't make sense. I guess you could. I can toggle between Component and HDMI connections. I get the best HD picture from an old TV antenna lying in attic off the air.

13. missing30

missing30 Member

Are those red dvd's HP's by any chance?

14. club42

club42 Regular member

Having both cables hooked up at first just gives you a comparison between the two.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@missing30

Those red ones were the Blockbuster red DVDs with the embedded chip that enabled them to tell if your copied their disc!

16. missing30

missing30 Member

D'oh
    upon further research my question was really ignorant.

17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

HDMI (as in HDMI-HDMI) "can" always carries audio. DVI is a video only connection technology that came before HDMI, not a different type of HDMI connector. If you use an HDMI device with a DVI device of course you won't get audio.

I posted this so that no one will confuse an HDMI connector with a DVI connector. HDMI is fully backward compatible with the video portion of DVI-D (but not DVI-I or DVI-A) but is a totally different technology.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@diablos

Connected my new flat panel with HDMI cable to a Cox Motorola DVR box. The problem is that the HDMI cable out connection does not permit the cable remote to adjust the audio volume like it does with component connection. Strange. I had to use set remote to adjust volume. I'm back to component cables. Picture was not noticeably better with HDMI.

19. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Maybe you need to reprogram the cable box remote? Just a thought.

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I don't understand you. Are you saying that when you switched to HDMI your cable box remote stopped controlling the volume on the TV? But when you put component on it did? That doesn't make sense especially if the tv remote still changed the volume.

I remember saying that the picture quality would be the same in optimal conditions because HDMI "can" pass Component Video (digitally). If your Component Video outputs are connected to good DACs and the inputs are connected to good ADCs then your picture will be similar to an all digital connection. Although I find that the picture has more stability when it doesn't go through a lot of Analog to digital conversions.

HDMI is better because it does everything on one easy to install (and look at) cable. It will not change the quality of the picture altogether by its self.

----Later----

I just read a few other of your posts garmoon. If you are trying to change the volume from the source than no it shouldn't work. I don't know why you want to control volume from the source anyway. Its not how that feature is suppose to be used. Your cable box's analog audio master volume should be set to an good volume for recording and watching tv if applicable. But the tv should control the the volume coming from it's speakers (thats why tv remotes have volume controls).

Like cheezzzz said, you need to program your remote!

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007