1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compress AND burn w/ only dvd shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by fishbulb, Nov 20, 2004.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i keep reading that dvd shrink can not only compress but also burn w/out using other software such as dvd decrypter. i have shrink, decrypter, and nero(demo). whenever i go to burn, it automatically uses decrypter. how do i shrink AND burn using only dvd shrink? will i have to uninstall decrypter?
    thanx

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Shrink cannot burn. It has no burning engine at all. That's why it automatically burns with Nero, DVD Decrypter, and Copy to DVD.

Can you tell us where you read that Shrink can burn?

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/articles/23_1.html
    on this page it says the following...

Summary of procedures :
    1. Optional : Ripping the DVD - Rip the DVD with DVD Decrypter prior to using DVD Shrink;

2. Setup DVD Shrink - Setup DVD Shrink when using it for the first time;

3. Configuring the backup - Using DVD Shrink's Full Disk or Re-Author modes to backup the entire DVD, or just parts of it;

4. Choose how to burn the backup - Choose to use DVD Shrink's built-in burner, or use external tools to burn the backup;

check out #4 "Choose to use DVD Shrink's built-in burner." what's up with that?!
    a best buy associate also said u could burn with just shrink. are these people wrong?
    while we're on the topic, is there any one free program that u can compress, rip, and burn without using other programs?
    oh yeah, and #1 says use decrypter BEFORE using shrink. i have been using shrink 1st. does it matter?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi fishbulb, That associate at bestbuy is wrong. Dvd Shrink does not burn. Just compresses "if necessary" What shrink does, it automatically pulls out your burning software which is only "dvd decrypter or nero". I have all 3 apps. From as far as i can tell you, nero and dvd decrypter are the only burn engines for for dvd shrink. You can get dvd shrink and dvd decrypter free here. If you want to try nero like I use, then there's a free 1 month trial. The nero has to be 6.0 version or above. On you question of 1 program to rip,compress, and burn. I have no Idea. With just dvd shrink and dvd decrypter, you can do that job. only 2 programs. Not bad, and it is pretty easy after a couple of tries. I use shrink to rip off straight to my harddrive "only 1 drive",cut off extras,backup, set quality and burn settings,then ok. Process starts, spitout original then i place blank disc in it, starts to burn. Very sinply. Some movies with certain copyrights can;t be ripped by dvd shrink, There is where dvd decryper should work. I have done about 40 backups and have not had to use dvd decrypter. Shrink did them all> I hope some of your questions have been answered. Good luck

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx saugmon. so far i've been doing basically the same as u are. dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. 1st time i ever tried to burn i used shrink and nero. dvd did not play in dvd player. from then on i've used decrypter and every one has played, using same blank media. i'll probably give nero another try before 30 days is up to see if i did something wrong. btw, when 30 day trial is up can u just uninstall and download free trial again? is there any difference in free version and paid? are there other compression/burn combinations (free ones) out there that work as well or better than these? not that these are bad. i just like to use what i'm most comfortable with.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey fishbulb, glad to see you finally burning. If you are burning ok with shrink and decryper, then you might want to stick to those 2. Your question about renewing every month, "Big Orange" said you can. Nero came with my system but I just purchased it off of ebay for $10.00 including s+h for my father about 2 months ago. He's still on dial up. This combination works for me, but find whatever works for you. Later

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

There is a third burning program that Shrink works with called Copy to DVD. It's a very good app. Fast, stable, and flawless for me. There are others around here that like it as well.

8. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

saugmon, u say nero came w/ your system? when i got my computer it didn't have anything like that already on it. a co-worker told me he thought it should have come w/ nero or something like that already installed. does it just depend on what brand system u buy? just curious.
    btw, i may check out ebay for a deal like the one u found!

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey fishbulb, I just checked on ebay for nero suite 3 on ebay. $15.00 usa and $1 extra international. It comes with a serial #. It's the exact version of my father's. You got to watch out for some of them. I might try copy to dvd like zippyd said. I have been reading a lot of nero problems in the forums. my ebay tower only came with nero and windvd4. I had to buy the windows. have a good day.

10. huntert

huntert Guest

you can use dvd xcopy to rip and burn with one app
    but i think that it is better to use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. most of the time i had to use 2 dvds for xcopy and shrink and decrypter are both free.

11. huntert

huntert Guest

but i think that it is better to use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. most of the time i had to use 2 dvds for xcopy and shrink and decrypter are both free.

12. huntert

huntert Guest

13. calhounm

calhounm Guest

Nero came with my burner when I purchased it Nero 5.5 I like it better than the new version but that is just me. If you call a smaller computer store they might can sell you a oem version pretty cheap.

Thanks,

Matt