1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing a DVD9 with DVDshrink..?!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dvd_lord, Apr 3, 2005.

1. dvd_lord

dvd_lord Member

I have quite a few questions i'd like to ask..
    - all of my questions concern the use of DVDshrink:

#1 When using a stillpicture instead of the extra material, it oftens takes 100 or more mb i size -- how can that be..?

#2 How much can i compress the movie itself without it will be showing..? - what percent would you suggest..?

#3 I have heard that using DVDshrink to compress my DVD's down to the size of a DVD-R, is not the best way to do it..!! -is it true?? can the job be done in a better way??

#4 If i only choose to use the AC3 5.1-kn for the sound, will the ones seeing the movie with mono or stereo sound, have as good a sound as if i had chosen AC3 2-kn..?

#5 Let's say i choose to use the extra material on my new DVD-R. I only choose the AC3 5.1-kn sound with a size on 8mb, and leave out the AC3 2-kn with a size on 58mb --- will there be sound on all extra-material then, or will it only be on different "spots" were they are using 5.1 and then the rest of the ex-material will be without any sound..?

#6 "unrefered material"(i think its called in eng.) -- what is it..? can i replace it with a still image...?

Thats all for now :) -- i hope you will/can answer some or all of my questions... (I excuse the spelling)

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd ripping*

check out some guides ... use RW's and live and learn

3. dvd_lord

dvd_lord Member

why has it moved..?

i have read alot of guides, but none of them talks about these specific subjects...

4. flip218

Because you posted in DVD Ripping. It has been moved to .... ummm "DVD Shrink Forum".

Have you even tried DVD Shrink? You will notice some questions might be answered.

I don't see how that can be. It adds 100 or more MB in size? I took The Alamo ... extas were 985MB for automatic compression. Insert still image (151MB), insert still picture (307MB). You want more examples?

Where did you hear/read that? If that were true, soooooooooo many people wouldn't be using it :)

That is where trial and error come into play. I've only had I believe two movies where doing full movie backup the quality wasn't good. For this, you can use movie only ... again You need to try Shrink to find out

And you say you've checked out the guides? My preference ... I always keep ALL AC3, dump ALL DTS. Why? .. cause it won't fit with both. And of course ya dumb any language audio you don't need.

I'll ask again .. Have you tried DVD Shrink?

Why RW's? Cause they are erasable .. if you make a mistake.

5. dvd_lord

dvd_lord Member

yes i have tried DVDshrink many times, succesfull..

-i've heard that on a danish forum.. the guy said something about that prog. where you can define the some technical stuff manually, would result in a better rip.

- i have checked out the guides, and none of the ones i have found mentions, what will happen if you do what i am asking about -- and neither do you..

- i have always just removed it.. but i have an idea that it is trailers.. not sure.. DO YOU KNOW..?

And i do not use -rw because they aren't compatible with as many players as -r, and they are expensive compared to -r

-- im sorry about the misplacing of the thread, but this is my first post and i didn't see the dvdshrink-forum..

6. flip218

Huh? a better rip? ... there are other programs that produce better quality than Shrink, but it has nothing to do with ripping it.

Agree, I don't think that is covered. But from my experience ... If you keep all AC3 you will always have sound. I once chose DTS over AC3 (kept all DTS) and I lost sound half way through the movie. You have to remember your compressing the movie almost in half, so you want to get rid of everything you don't want or would use (ie. DTS and foreign languages). For better quality some do movie only.

Preview them. For un-referenced material it's usually because of the "jumping boy w/ green shorts". It will cause errors sometimes, so inserting a still image or picture will not give you the backup error (i think it's a crc error or programming exception).

lol ... you don't have to get a bunch, just a couple to test on.

7. flip218

No worries ... we can move them :)

8. dvd_lord

dvd_lord Member

- what has it something to do with then..?

thx for the answers :)

9. flip218