1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing a file ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dazraz, Oct 22, 2004.

1. dazraz

dazraz Member

Hi i have a dvd film on my hard drive and i wish to put it on to a disc , but when i put it in to nero vision 2 it says the film is to long to go on to my discs. But i have been burning other movies on to the disc's i have and they go on fine. The disc's i have say they are 4.7gb and the films i have been burning on to them are 7gb,is there a way i can compress the movie on my hard drive so it will fit on to my blank discs ? ie program's etc ?

ps i am fairly new to this subject, sorry if my question is brief.

Regards Rachel

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Rachel, you must use Nero Recode --- or DVD Shrink !

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved to appropriate forum :)

Since you apparently already have Nero I'd highly suggest getting DVD Shrink. Shrink will rip the film, compress it then burn it using Nero's burning engine. Best of all its free.

4. dazraz

dazraz Member

I got dvd shrink but when i try and load the film from my hard drive it says invalid filename. The film has a windows media player icon on it ?

ps i also tried nero recode and that said invalid filename also ? Do i have to rename the file and if so to what ?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

What file extension (attribute) is that file you want to load -- !the 3 letters after the dot are ?

6. dazraz

dazraz Member

It says mary poppins.avi

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Ok it's an AVI !! When you start a thread always provide details so we dont steer you to the wrong places !~~ smiles

If you look at the guides in the forum you will find all kinds of info on how to handle this .

Here's a good place to start :-

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2004