1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing already compressed dvd:quality loss?

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by garry mcvay, May 31, 2016.

1. garry mcvay

garry mcvay Member

Hi. I have 2 M4v video files, one is 3,665,438KB the other is 3,600,799KB. I think they have been made from original DVD9 discs for the one concert. Now I want to send these to a friend via my MediaFire account. Uploading files that size will take hours (2.2GB file took 5 hours to upload)
    My question is if I use VidCoder to further compress those 2 files to say 1GB MP4 each will the quality suffer drastically. The use of VidCoder is going to take 1.75 hours to reduce each file to the 1GB.....I guess that its pretty obvious...compressing compressed files is a further loss of image quality.
    I'm only new to using VidCoder and I compressed a. 8GB DVD Movie file to 1GB MP4 and it was really quite good to watch, with no pixelation or other artifacts.......I'll give it a go and see what the result is.
    Would appreciate any advice thanks.

Attached Files:

2. attar

attar Senior member

It looks adequate? OK.
    If it was an action movie and it was to be compressed further, it could be opened with AviDemux and a small sample clip selected and saved with the 'Copy' options.
    Open the sample in the encoder of choice and apply different rates until it becomes unacceptable.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

never mind.i thought i had both music vids here somewhere,it wouldn't taken long for me to upload

check your pm anyway