1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing iso (not for games)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kpinegar, Feb 6, 2007.

1. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

I have some educational dvd's that I use (as a professor). They are not copyprotected and I have permission to reproduce for classroom use. I hate carrying all the dvd's with me and having to switch them in and out. So; I created a virtual drive and used dvddecrypter to save iso files to hard disk. Works great, but uses lots of disk space. Would it make sense to shrink these files with dvd shrink as long as I get the quality I need? I know shrink can compress dvd-video and reauthor, but will it work with just the iso files?

What other progs would compress iso files?

Thanks.

2. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Shrink should do this just fine. When you are finished encoding files it gives you an option to burn or save the ISO image. I think this will do what you want it to.

What do you teach?? If it is anatomy or circuit boards or something intricate don't compress it too much. Quality counts! But if this is something less detailed it may do fine. I would review the files yourself before using them you will be able to tell.

3. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

Math. Its videos the authors make to go along with the texts. Algebra, Calculus, etc.

Here's what I've done. I extracted the original iso to my hard drive from a disk using dvd decrypter. I used shrink to compress the iso at 60% and save to hard drive, but the result was all of the vob/bup/ifo files. I must have missed a step somewhere. I'll do it again and and pay closer attention to settings. Let me know if you see something wrong.
    Thanks.

4. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

I see the choice now. I need to use iso image instead of hard disk folder. Tks.

5. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Oh boy! Now you've done it. A math teacher huh? I so should have taken more trig. I am doing electrical engineering stuff now and I run into equation issues sometimes. Now I know who to bug!

I am glad this is working for you. Compression of math text should be no problem. I was just worried that it may be photo-detailed video of some sort.

Glad it's working now.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

kpinegar
    It wouldn't have mattered whether you compressed the files to a folder or ISO unless your burning software supports only ISO. The IFO, BUP, and VOB files are in the ISO. You could have used Nero's burning program or one from another recording suite that could burn a Video_TS folder. Free programs such as ImgBurn require the ISO format though.

With the files transcoded to the hard drive you have the option to view them with player software to see your output before burning. With an ISO you can do it, but have to open the ISO in a virtual drive before opening in the player software.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  7. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

kitty: It is video. It is video of an author working problems from the text. So i suppose I do need to be careful with compression. I have compressed it 60%, but still need to view it. I know 60 may be high, but we'll see.
    PacMan: I don't want to burn it. I own the disks; just want to play the dvds from my hard drive. I hate keeping up with all of my disks.

This is offtopic a little, but maybe ya'll won't harass me too much. I moved on to trying to put some games on my hard drive to play w/o changing out cd/dvds. On Cd's I had to use iso buster (dvddecrypter wont touch cd's) and extract raw data to hard drive as iso file. Then opened with daemon tools (virtual drive). A couple games installed fine and played w/o disk (don't worry, I own all disks). 1 game requires an installation disk and a play disk to install. Not sure how to load 2nd disk in virtual drive when asked. I'll try to rip the iso of play disk and see if it'll find it. I can post elsewhere if needed. Tks and I may have some trig resources on my drive if you need help.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With one virtual drive you would need to unload and load the other ISO. If you need both loaded at the same time, you can have more than 1 virtual drive. Virtual drives are seen the same as a physical drive by the PC. The only difference is in how the media is loaded.

BTW, if you're seeing a 60% compression ratio, that means the resulting output is 60% of the original (the program compresses by 40%). That's still high though. If you're recording to the hard drive, it wouldn't look as though a GB or two would matter. But if you want the best quality from Shrink, be sure to use the Quality Settings. If you want better, try DVD Rebuilder. If you don't have access to CCE, use the Hank's encoder (free) or one of the other supported encoders, if you have one of them.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  9. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

Thanks. Actually, it allowed me to switch the play/install disks through the 1 virtual drive. But I didn't think about creating a second drive. I am sure there will be some hiccups, but with a large enough drive, this is a great concept. You can keep your disks clean and packed away. Of course, I suppose online gaming requires the disk. I still need to apply some game patches - I suppose they'll work just like normal.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You should be able to use the virtual drive online unless there's something special about the disk that would be different from an ISO. As I mentioned, the virtual drive is read by the PC the same as a physical drive. As long as the files are the same, it will work the same.

11. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

Back to my compressed classroom video. (I have classroom sets of instructional videos that I can play for my students) My ultimate goal is put ALL of them on the hard drive. I viewed segments of one that was compressed to 60%. I saw a small difference in quality, but it appeared fine (I still need to look at it on the big screen). Maybe I'll go 75% on the rest - of course I know it depends on the size of the disk. ( ie. 75% of 4 GB is same as 60% 5GB) Before I begin doing this, is there anything I should consider before hand? I'd hate to extract/compress 30 videos and find out after the fact. I'll quit rambling, I'm sure you have things to do.
    Tks.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You pointed out the biggest detraction when you have high compression and notice it on a small screen. It's exaggerated when you go to the large screen. The only way to tell is to view a sample on the screen you intend to use. A 75% ratio (25% compressed) is higher quality output that should be noticable on a large screen. You will probably want to experiment to see what works best for you. A rule of thumb many of us use is to go to an encoder below 80% (those of us who have the software). So 75% with Shrink isn't a big stretch, especially if you use the Quality Settings.

Other things can start to happen when you get the compression too high. Besides video quality, you run into errors that cause skipping or locking up. Also remember to use decent quality media for the task because the cheap stuff has even more trouble with compressed video.

Since this appears to be a dedicated project, I'd start thinking hard drive size. If it was my project and I was going to be using the video longterm, I'd invest in a hard drive large enough to store all the material without worrying about compression at all. Hard drives nowadays are relatively inexpensive and the XP SP2 OS handles large drives easily. For instance consider 400GB hard drives, ATA, SATA, and external. They would run about $120, $140, and $160 respectively (cheaper if you find a good sale). I just picked up some 250GB SATA HDDs for about $80 each. Those are about the capacity of 57 DVD5(s) each. For a project like yours I'd consider an external HDD for the sake of portability. That way you can carry a small drive anywhere you go and hook it up to almost any system (limitation on size for anything below the XP SP2 OS. Most PCs have been updated to XP by now.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  13. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

Right now I am experimenting and running low. I do have a 300GB external drive that will fit in my briefcase. I have requested the college buy me one; so I can use mine for personal use.

I posted a question relating back to my games on a game forum. Let me condense it for you and see what you think. I thought you had to extract iso files to hard drive then install/play games from the virtual drive (w/o cd). Then I read up on the no cd/dvd patches. It appears that this is a shaky area from posts I read. Some folks want to borrow neighbor's disk, etc.. (Mine are legit.). I assumed after extraction and installing the game you put in the patch. But I am beginning to believe the patch is used after a normal install with cd. Sorry to keep asking questions. I am determined to eliminate the "coasters". I am new to this and it seems so intriguing. Tks.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What are the patches for? If for illegal use of the software, we can't discuss that here. Plus you said you own your discs. So that aspect doesn't apply to you. Many patches are for opening extended programing or activation and placed on a trial or already loaded program. With most programs there is an activation key you enter to activate a program or you activate online. With your being the owner, I don't see why you would need to patch your software, whether on the disc or an ISO in a virtual drive.

15. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

It is a patch to allow my OWN software to run without use of the cd. To avoid keeping up with all the disks and to avoid scratching them up. I do own the games. As far as I know its not illegal to run the games straight off my harddrive.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm not the media police, but by precedent and wording of the current regulations, anything that circumvents the digital protection of a copyrighted work is illegal. Many people are citing "Fair Use" in a right to copy material. In the US the courts decided against 321 on the issue of decryption software being legal for doing DVD movie backups. Currently the precedents are against the individual right to make copies of digital material. In a way this is similar to the old VHS trials but the law hinges on the digital copyright protection.

I'm not sure what is happening with the game activation becaues I'm not into gaming. I'm just familiar with how the virtual software functions. alkohol is an avid gamer I believe, you might want to ask him how it works.

17. kpinegar

kpinegar Guest

I realize now, where you may have been concerned when I said
    "It appears that this is a shaky area from posts I read. "

What I observed from reading some posts were that certain unscrupulous folks could try to use "playing games w/o cd" to avoid purchasing their own. On the otherhand another's (fair use) backup copy could be misused in the same way. But, moderators would quickly close or ban anyone headed in that direction; though it was amusing reading some of the posts ("left my cd at momma's house in indiana", etc..)

I just want to keep all of my "stuff" in one place so its quickly and easily accessible. You have been very helpful on a number of topics. I think I have the game topic figured out. Gotta go teach a while. Tks.