1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing ISOs?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by james6000, Jul 1, 2007.

1. james6000

james6000 Member

I just downloaded a Daxter iso (for backup of course). But it comes in at 1.26GB whereas I only have a 1GB memory stick. Is there anyway to compress that somehow to fit my memory?

2. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

3. james6000

james6000 Member

which would you most highly recommended? Taking into account I am a beginner at this

4. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

CiSO converter is also a good one

5. james6000

james6000 Member

I've tried a few now and they all only seem to take off 100MBs or so. Does that I mean I can't compress any further? ie, I will have to get a larger memory stick?

6. drakex

drakex Regular member

1st there are certain games like Daxter and others that use more than required space between movies and sound... you need to be REALLY good at ripping (removing this things from the ISO completed) to shrink the file over 100MB otherwise you can compress it to CSO and it will only compress it... so no way, you can acquire several things, there is a Double Memory Converter Extender that will let you have 2 SD cards of max 2gb each (total of 4gb) and is more cheaper than a Memory Stick... or buy in circuit city a 49.99 memory stick of 4gb... you choose.

7. james6000

james6000 Member

I'm in the UK so we don't have a circuit city. One of the easiest places to get memory cards would be amazon, I just quickly checked the site and it costs £34 ($68) for a 4GB memory stick. How about eBay? I've been hearing bad things about buying cards off eBay so I'm cautious about purchasing such items from the site.

D you know of any guides that could guide me through that ripping process you speak of?

8. drakex

drakex Regular member

For memory sticks, I recently bought 2 from Ebay, DO NOT BUY THEM FROM EBAY, you will end up with a fake one that is no good... anyways I bought another in amazon.com from a 3rd user that had bought it from circuit city, he explicity told me that, so I got still the circuit city one... you can get it from amazon.com its better and safer... ebay is NOT that safer anymore with all those fakes that MIGHT and MIGHT NOT work... still.

For Ripping process is kind of tedious, the only options I can tell you is I use UMD Gen 4.0 and there is an option to remove dummies, then save and convert to CSO with compress of 9... its the only process I can tell you as ripping is toooooo dangerous for games...

9. james6000

james6000 Member

I also noticed the 3rd part sellers on amazon, but what makes them safer to buy off than ebay?

In reference to UMDGen, how do you select the option to remove dummies? I've already tried using it on compression level 9 but for some reason the size actually increased by a few MBs

10. drakex

drakex Regular member

its not safer than Ebay but what I do I send them a question regarding the Memory and ask them directly is it fake or not... they will answer you, I will rather take the chances on amazon.com than take them on ebay.com

For UMD is go to Tools > Search and Resize Dummy Files

If there are any dummies the prog will almost remove them and it will shorten up the file size, good luck!

11. james6000

james6000 Member

thanks for all your help. I've decided to just purchase a 4GB memory card from amazon. It'll save the hassle in the future.

Thanks for all your help!

12. drakex

drakex Regular member

U R Welcome