1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compressing problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rob&keri, Mar 17, 2004.

1. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

I am having a problem with compresion, I am using DVD shrink and nero6, I back up a film using the Re-author part of the software so I only get english language and the actual film. The problem arose when I backed up Matrix Revolutions the film is bigger than the disc even when I get just the film. I got 3/4 's of the way through it and it started skipping the film is compressed at about 81.6% if this makes sense. I backed up 4 films and skipped through them to check and they seem fine. I am using DVD-r and burning at X2.

Any ideas?

Rob

2. drchips

drchips Active member

What do you mean?

3/4 of the way through playing?
    playing on what?
    playing the burned disk? or the compressed files on hard-disk?

Need more info!!

3. movie_777

movie_777 Member

Yo,

Matrix Revolutions is not even out on video yet?

4. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

Sorry mate,

Had finished burning and was playing the back-up disk on a Alba DVD player. I had done the check up thing at the burning stage (sorry about that).

I bought the dvd over the net from Malaysia, its region 1 and out there, its not fake.(if it is then I'm very impressed).

5. drchips

drchips Active member

OK,

CLASSIC CRAP MEDIA SYMPTOMS!!!

Other possibilities are:

1 - DVD player is not happy with the media.
    2 - DVD player is overheating (disk is WARM)
    3 - Burning at too high a speed
    4 - Putting a label on the DVD

I would suspect the media first.

Without knowing make/model it is difficult to give exact advice, but a general rule is:
    Ritek G04 OR Verbatim Advanced Metal AZO OR any Top Quality (read expensive) media will seriously improve your chances....

Have Fun...

6. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

The media is not the best its about £1 per disc, have just bought another disc so will try that. How much should I be looking at paying per disc.

Thnaks

Rob

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

8. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

P.S. I use Bulkpaq Orange X4 DVD-R to back up data (*shh* dont tell anyone)

9. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

2 - DVD player is overheating (disk is WARM) I saw this in one of Dr. Chips posts, and it got me to thinking. (dangerous, i know)- my discs are always warm when they come out of the burner- is this a reason for concern?

10. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

Just changed my media and the film played all the way the the end then froze for a milli second then went on. don't know if it missed anything.

How much can you compress by until it becomes a problem.

Rob

11. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Rob, I was having the same problem as you with freezing/skipping. The folks here recommended a solution to take care of it- compress until you see about 1/8 of an inch of blank space at the end of the green bar using dvd shrink. Also, make sure you delete the audio tracks you dont need. I compress the special features quite a bit, so I can leave the movie at a higher quality. Also, doing a deep analysis will provide better playback quality. Skipping at the end of a movie is usually a media problem that occurs when the movie is written to the edge of the dvd. Hope this helps.

12. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

Ah,

I am using DVD shrink and compressed it automaticaly, I was going to use DVD decryptor but cant figure hoe to use the write bit. I know its going to be as simple as just copying the files onto a disc.

Will try the DVD shrink

Ta

13. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Rob, just open decrypter, and at the top, you will see a "mode" button. Set it to "iso write", and there you go! Also, its been recommended, when dealing with crap media (thats what I have bought 50 before I discovered this forum), that you slow down your write speed. For instance, if you are using 4x media, burn it at 2x. You may not have to, just thought Id pass the tip on. Let me know how it all works out for you, and best of luck!

14. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

Well just come back from burning the film again and it seams to have worked, it skips once at the very end but just like an orginal one sometimes does.

Unforunatley I have also waisted a few dics ;) over the last couple of weeks trying to back up my films. Think next time I'll spend a little more on discs.

Many thanks to you all.

Rob

15. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Try ritek dvd's, thats what everybody recommended to me when they gave me advice.