1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression Adjustment With DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by azia, Oct 26, 2004.

1. azia

azia Guest

Please Help

I used the DVD Shrink for the first time and I really liked this software. The movie I was baking up was 6.5 GB. With video compression at Automatic (63%) the file size was reduced to 4.64 GB. I only had to reduce the file size by 0.27 GB but there is no option to do that. When I have the compression to cutom, it does not allow me to adjust the compression furhermore. There is only one Audio channel so no reduction in audio is possible. Itried to remove some scenes but this option was not available or I don't know how to do that.

I want to continue using DVD shrink so any help would be greatly appreciated. The only way I could produce the backup was to use th DVD R DL (8.4 GB) (I have Nero) but this method was too expensive. I would like to burn the content on DVD R (4.7 GB).

2. cynthia_

cynthia_ Regular member

Output the first shrinking to your hard disk - ignore the "the big message".

Then take your output and open DVDShrink in file mode using the previously shrinked files and do another shrink and it will then fit on your DVD5 media.

3. azia

azia Guest

Thank you for your quick response. I will try your suggested method and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

4. azia

azia Guest

I followed your instructions and every thing worked great. I am really grateful to you for your advise and suggestion. You are naturally very resourceful and next time I encounter another problem I am sure you will have the answe.

Here are some details on what happened. Original movie (6.88 GB) reduced to 4.63 GB on first DDVShrink operation. As recommended by you this compressed movie was saved was then recompressed with DDVShrink giving a final version (4.46 GB) which fitted well in the 4.7 GB DVD+RW or DVD R. These movies played well in the standard computers and DVD players.

The only issue I have with this procedure is that it takes too long since two separate compression steps are involved. Also, the sound is great but the quality of the video is some what degraded compared to the original movie.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

5. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

azia
    try these links here..........
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/preferences.php

The first is a basic guide for full disc back up and the second is a guide for setting preferences in shrink. Both are animated and show step by step instructions. There are some details in there that I didn't learn for a long time.

There are other options to reduce your video size in full disc mode. If there is a movie preview that you don't mind getting rid of, you can insert a still image in it's place. This places an (approximately) 35KB picture in place of an (approximately) 100MB movie preview. You can do this with the entire extras section or just the single items.
    Or if you like you can use reauthor mode and just copy the main movie. Reauthor mode costs you the use of a functional menu.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Presario..Athlon 2.16Ghz..512MB RAM..140G HD..HP 300n
    Man who walk with hands in pocket, look crazy, but feel nuts[/small]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  6. azia

azia Guest

zippyd:

Thanks for posting an excellent link. Since DDVShrink does not provide a good Users Mannual, the link you provided is an excellent way of learning how to use DDVShrink. The person who produced this web based animated learning procedure for using DDV should be commended for a superb job.

7. azia

azia Guest

zippyd:

The excellent leads to the link you provided regarding use of DVD Shrink had no mention of use of "reauthor mode". Can you please provide me with more step by step details on this method.

Thanks.

8. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Here's a link to the basic reathor mode guide....
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_basic.php

Here's a link to the main page of the site....
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/index.php

Check out the goodies section under title replacements and you'll find some nice images to use if you ever use the insert still image option in DVD Shrink.

The site was done by ddlooping, who is a member here at AfterDawn. Be sure to tell him how much you liked his site if you see him about.

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys, I appreciate it. :)