1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression differences

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by zeebra, Dec 25, 2004.

1. zeebra

zeebra Member

Hey.

When using DVD Shrink, I usually only re-author when the movie is very long. At compression on 80%, I noticed no difference between the original and the backup.
    So my question is, what level of compression is it when the quality of the picture starts to suffer? What is a good compression level to keep at?

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

I have had compression down to 48% and it wasn't too bad.
    But I like to keep it as high as possible but really I have not noticed a lot of differece between the lowest and the highest I have done.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

When you click the Backup! button a window will pop up and you will have a "Quality Settings" tab on top. Click that and check the "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation" box and make sure it is set to Sharp. I have done this and do not notice any difference at all in the backup as opposed to the original. The only drawback to this is it takes a lot longer to backup a movie. I just start it before I go to work or bed usually.

4. LordMiL

LordMiL Member

Just today I made a backup of Bourne Supremecy for my dad. He wanted to keep all the extras and everything (except other languages in the audio and subs) so I was only able to get it up to ~52% for the main movie. However after throwing both in and watching about 15 minutes (mostly action scenes) on both, I still cannot tell the difference. DVDShrink really is an amazing tool. Also it seems that DVD's are encoded at FAR highger quality than they need to be if you can compress down to about 50% of the original and not be able to see the diff!

PS I always do a deep analysis AND that adaptive setting on "sharp". Bourne took about 2 hours to analyze and reencode on my Athlon XP machine.