1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression Limit

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PBnJ, Nov 16, 2004.

1. PBnJ

PBnJ Member

This question is for everyone. Since I am new to the DVD copy game I was wondering about everyones compression preference. What is the minimum compression rate you use without losing any video quality.
    For example, I had a 3 hour DVD that I wanted to copy onto 1 DVD. Yet even after I re-authored it the best compression I could get was 59%. I wasnt satisfied with that so I just split it up onto 3 DVDs. No matter it was a documnetary with 3 different segments; so it worked out fine. But I do not want to do this with a movie so any input on your minimum compression rate without loosing video quality would be appraciated.

TIA

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

This is just my opinion and way of doing things. I try never to go below 60%(40% compression). A good brand of media and burning at slower speed will possibly help. I'm sure others have their own limits.

Jerry

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi TJA,

Choice 1. Use a DL burner with DL media. Zero compression.

Choice 2. DVD Rebuilder (long rendering time, 4+ hours)

Choice 3. DVD Shrink with Deep Anaylsis and Maximum Smoothness in QE. (time about 2 1/2 + hours)

Because a movie is 3 hours long doesn't mean 3 discs, that's just silly as far as quality goes -

With QE's quite a bit of compression can be tolerated. IF you want a 1:1 copy, split it between 2 discs - using DVD Shrink -

cheers,

Pete