1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression not available- help.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by acets, Apr 11, 2007.

1. acets

acets Member

I am trying to shrink The Office (UK) and there is only one audio stream (AC3 2ch) and the smallest compression I can attain is about 400 mb over the limit (at about 4.8) I can not change the custom ratio from the automatic setting, which are about 55% each. Is there any way I can shrink each individual video (each are around 7-800mb) or do I have to get a dual layered dvd?

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Rebuilder does better at higher compression, give it a try using the included Hanks encoder. It's slow, but a good program. Other than that, go for the DL. That's a lot of compression.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you trying to do the whole disk?

If so use the Re-author function and do only the main movie.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you want to keep the menu, you can select the extras by clicking it and highlighting, then choosing Still Image under compression settings. That replaces the Extras with the much smaller still image. Or you can expand Extras and selectively use still image to take out individual titles. By using Still Image to edit in Full Disc you can still use the menu to navigate the DVD. If you don't need the menu (Re-author kills the function) it's easier to go the way bbmayo said.

5. acets

acets Member

The main problem is the video files. The menu is only 14mb and the extras I have already turned into a still image. There are 6 video files that I can not shrink any smaller than the automatic setting using dvd shrink. I will try to use rebuilder, but I dont see any option to shrink files, just delete audio and sub's. I will run it while I go to work.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Oh this is an episode DVD!! that could explain it I would do as Creaky has suggested or you could split the episodes onto more disks to get high quality backups. I do have a guide for creating backups of episode DVD's using Shrink Here. I will normally stick only 3 episodes on one DVD5 disk (assuming these these are 45min episodes) That guide will show you how to do that. There is just to much compression needed when you are talking about episode disks and the quality just won't be very good unless you put them on DVD9 disks (Dual Layer). DVD Rebuilder will do a good job on them, but you are still going to loose some quality with that much compression.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've compressed near 50% with RB/CCE and the loss wasn't noticable. I watch the backups on a 60" tv where flaws would be more visible. I've even watched some on my friend's big screen HDTV. The program has really spoiled me. I rarely edit a DVD anymore. I rip full DVD and let RB/CCE encode it. With the PUOs stripped, I can navigate to the menu without having to watch the adverts. I could set the DVD to jump to the menu or movie in RI4M, but I don't bother.