1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression on DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tokra, Jan 31, 2005.

1. tokra

tokra Member

Just need some advice,

Just started using DVD shrink,but what sort of compression percentage should I be looking for on the main movie , I know the higher the better but on average what gets a decent watchable copy.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

ive gone down to 65% (LOTR), but you want to try to stay above 80%. If its under 85% you should use deep analysis.

3. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

It really depends on what you consider acceptable and whether or not that will be sufficient for your tastes. I know it sounds cliche but it's the truth. I've compressed movies to as low as 54% but there was obvious pixelation and quality loss, as would be expected. It's the price you pay for keeping the menus and extras.

Now, if you're re-authoring and just keeping the main movie, often your compression ratio will be at 72% or higher, and that is fine for me. You could also backup as a full disc and replace some extras with still images if you insist on keeping the working menus and so forth.

When compression is below 90%, I always run deep analysis and High Quality AEC. It's all a matter of how much time you are willing to give Shrink to encode. Here is how I would chart the quality. (My opinion only! Your level of scrutiny will probably vary.)

90%- 100% Great quality. Backup as is.

80%- 90% Still very good quality, run Deep Analysis and High Quality AEC if you wish.

71%- 80% Good quality but noticable pixelation, definitely run Deep Analysis as well as AEC setting of your choice.

65%- 70% Can still be considered pretty good quality but be prepared to sacrifice fluidity during intense action, Deep Analysis and AEC settings a must.

54%- 64% Acceptable copy but very pixelated, especially at high rates of motion. Absolutely run Deep Analysis and AEC to compensate for major quality loss.

Never seen anything below 54%, so you probably do not need to worry about that. It's give and take, as is much of life, so find a formula that works for you and be willing to take some time to play around with your options. Try different settings, take notes of your results and maybe even keep a log of your burns. Eventually you will find your niche. :)